Board logo

Re-colouring leather seats
RazMan - 18/5/05 at 06:44 PM

Has anyone had experience in re-colouring leather seats?

I would like to dye black leather to a light blue - or am I just asking for trouble?

Hellfire - 18/5/05 at 09:40 PM

If you ask me - you're asking for trouble.

If they were light blue and you wanted to go to black that wouldn't be a problem me thinks!

Staple balls - 18/5/05 at 10:09 PM

I'm with hellfire on this.

You'd have to bleach it somehow, then dye it again.

Of course, bleaching could f*ck up the leather or the padding under it.

You may, if anything, be better off re-covering the seats, but that'd be an equal bast@rd of a job.

Peteff - 18/5/05 at 11:14 PM

I think you'd have to paint them to go lighter .

longwayoff - 19/5/05 at 08:45 AM

Don’t you believe it

If it is done properly with the right product you will have no problem it will look right and smell right too. Bleach Yeh right! I have re-coloured several jaguar interiors with a kits that I have got from Woolies. One of the cars I did and that I still own is a Jaguar XJ6 series 1 way back in 1998 and it still looks like new I change the colour from black to biscuit (a light creamy brown) I have tried other kits and they don’t come any where close.

RazMan - 19/5/05 at 10:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping that it would be possible but logic said that I wouldn't be able to go to a lighter colour (and black is a bit dark innit )
I'll give Woolies a look and see what they have to offer - thanks for the tip longwayoff.

My last resort would have been to retrim the seats but that is sort of reinventing the wheel isn't it.

RazMan - 25/5/05 at 09:10 PM

I just heard from Woolies ..... it seems that my task might be a trifle optimistic.....

Hello,
Thanks for your enquiry, our leather renovation kits are not designed for changing colour. If you were going from a blue to a darker blue this would probably be OK however changing black to any other colour is not suitable.

We sell another product which is a vinyl paint in an aerosol which is capable of changing colour however it is not ideal to put this on leather as you are coating the leather with a cellulose product ie a vinyl type product.

You could try another company called Croftgate that do leather renovation products, I do not know anything about their products but you could give them a call, tel no. 01706 216096. Sorry we cannot be more positive on this occasion.

If you are interestde in interior trim in general we will be pleased to send you a catalogue, please jst let us have your name and address.

Regards

Louise.

It's going to have to be black then !

StephenRae - 2/6/05 at 02:51 PM

First post for me...stir a few drops of a clear oil into cellulose paint.. spray it on..it works a treat