Board logo

Exhaust wrap ties
Moorron - 2/12/08 at 01:05 PM

Hi guys this should be able to be answered on here so here goes.

How do you tighten and fix the s/steel exhaust wrap ties? I have wrapped the exhaust manifold up nice and tight but I cant hold the tie tight and I don’t know how to ‘clip’ it up. The ties I am using are the ones that don’t have multi slots in them like some i have seen, these ones are plane and slip thru a slot on the end but that’s it.

Also, do you have to apply silicon spray or is this an optional thing?

Cheers
Andy

flak monkey - 2/12/08 at 01:08 PM

Put a jubilee clip around them instead

I used the stainless ties on the head end of my exhaust, they dont do up that tight, but have stayed where put for a long time now.

When I re-wrap the exhaust though I will just be using jubilee clips.

David

BenB - 2/12/08 at 01:57 PM

Yup. Second vote for jubilee clips....

wicket - 2/12/08 at 03:21 PM

Stainless steel lock wire.

simoto - 2/12/08 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wicket
Stainless steel lock wire.

x2 nice neat near invisible job with lockwire.

RichardK - 2/12/08 at 05:26 PM

Mine had a very small ball bearing that was behind a little tab and what you need to do was put it tight with pliers as they do cut skin (I know) and then with a small flatblade driver push the tab forward which bends the tab which pushes the ball forward jamming the ball and strap.

The above only applies if mine are the same type as yours

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 2/12/08 by RichardK]

Moorron - 3/12/08 at 01:27 PM

cheers for the replies. no my ties are different and dont lock in any easy way. I didnt even think about using locking wire, i suppose i could use some stainless steel tig wire which i have loads of.

so, just the question about the need to spray it with silicon? does everybody here do this?