Board logo

Greenbird TIG Torch Type?
oliwb - 23/3/12 at 02:30 PM

Hey folks,

Hoping someone can help me out....after a leave of absence with the welder being stored in a shed I need to use it so have purchased another cylinder of Argon etc. But I need some more ceramics for the torch and have no idea what type the Greenbird 200 amp AC/DC welder uses. There are no markings on the torch head or anywhere else on it for that matter! I think it's probably a WP-26 at it's A.) definitely air cooled and B.) for a 200 amp machine. But I'm presuming the china man that put it together properly specced a torch for it and didn't just put a cheaper type 9 on it!
So does anyone know what it is (it's a yellow non-flexible head one) or how to find out what it is so that I can buy some spares for it!

Thanks,
Oli.

owelly - 23/3/12 at 02:51 PM

Piccies would tell me if its the same as mine and I have part numbers for that!

oliwb - 23/3/12 at 03:46 PM

Hi Owelly,

at work just now so don't have any photos of mine - but it's the yellow handled one that came with the welder. I bought it as part of the group buy on here about 2 years ago so maybe that'll narrow it down? If not I'll post pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
Oli.

oliwb - 23/3/12 at 04:33 PM

I'm going to take a punt and guess that it's a WP-17 and buy the spares....I'll post some pictures up anyway so if you can identify it I can always call the shop in the morning and change the order....

Thanks,
Oli.

SeaBass - 23/3/12 at 04:40 PM

I don't think it's a compatible torch. I also found it very bulky in use.

I changed to a WP17 if I remember properly, may have been a 26. Better results and easier to use for me.

Id have thought that parts for the yellow supplied torch would be readily available on eBay.

Cheers

oliwb - 23/3/12 at 04:50 PM

Hmmmm.....maybe I'll not put the order in yet. Think I'll find out what thread outlet the machine has on it and buy a new WP-26 so that I can more easily get spares. Only really need ceramics right now but it would be handy in the future.

Oli.

Peteff - 23/3/12 at 08:08 PM

WP17, 18 and 26 all use the same size ceramics and parts if I remember right. Just the physical size of the torch body differs so if you like bigger torches go for the high numbers but smaller is easier to handle.

oliwb - 26/3/12 at 08:35 AM

Okay, so these Greenbird things are getting confusing w.r.t. spares! I've decided just to splash out and buy a new torch as they're only about £50 and that way I'll know exactly what I've got. The only problem is I'm pretty sure the threaded end of the hose (that attaches to the torch / machine is not a standard BSP type fitting. Got a feeling it is metric! Does anyone have experience of either buying a new torch or new torch / hose assembly and what type thread it needs to have to fit the Greenbird AC/DC 200 amp welder?

Thanks,
Oli.

oliwb - 26/3/12 at 09:03 AM

Tall order but if anyone has a photo of one of the greenbird hose connections Dylan at R-Tech said he could probably identify it.....

owelly - 26/3/12 at 09:17 AM

My TIG isn't a Green Bird but probably came out of the same factory so would it help if I posted piccies of my torch?

oliwb - 26/3/12 at 09:28 AM

Yeah, it probably would...especially the fitting where it enters the machine - trying to work out what type of thread it is.....Cheers!

SeaBass - 26/3/12 at 01:18 PM

Mine is basically like this but in a Red casing...

I bought the torch with hose/lead and it connected up without any issues to the front of the machine.

The supplied hose/lead was covered by a fabric type heat resistant sheath and the torch end of the connector was way to large for the WP style torches. I stored it all away.

The torch I use also has a finger microswitch that I find better than using the foot micro switch on the foot pedal.

That way I can easily return the power to minimum without releasing the switch.

Rgds

JC

oliwb - 26/3/12 at 01:28 PM

Yeah, the Greenbird is different to that one. It's got no MMA plug and has 9 knobs instead of 5. I've gone and bought a standard WP-26 torch to use with it and Paraweld do adaptors for them - so might end up having to change the 3/8" female connector for whatever this one turns out to be. It's been a good welder for me but obviously getting hold of the proper spares is not as easy as I would have hoped!

Cheers,
Oli.