Board logo

"nice" side cutters and pliers
Delinquent - 4/4/08 at 07:27 PM

Other than snap-on (not feeling that rich this month) can anyone recommend some really nice to handle side cutters and pliers? I've just lost my fave pair (actually I think I've just laid a floor over them, but I ain't taking it up again to check!!!) and all the ones I've tried in local tool places either feel horrible to hold or they positively ooze poor quality!

rgrs - 4/4/08 at 07:30 PM

Have a look at halfords pro range,if youv'e got a friend with a trade card they are about £7
I use mine daily far better than most.

hth roger

Delinquent - 4/4/08 at 07:40 PM

whenever I put "halfords" and "tools" in the same sentence it usually includes has the word "crap" somewhere - but you are not the first person to say that so maybe they've changed since I last visited! Will take a look in the morning, ta.

SeaBass - 4/4/08 at 07:46 PM

I have a great pair of side cutter "snips" made by Maun Industries. I've used and abused them for years and the cutting edges are still mint. I stole them off my old man - not sure if you can still get them.

Good news is you can...

Here

[Edited on 4/4/08 by SeaBass]

iceman26 - 4/4/08 at 07:56 PM

i have had snap on and have now changed to signet cost 1/2 price and are better
give a clean cut and pivet is good i use mine all day for 2 years and have had no problems

madrallysport - 4/4/08 at 07:59 PM

Draper expert, good value for money. Knipex range are brilliant

Stuart_B - 4/4/08 at 07:59 PM

I use ck tools every day, about £20 for side cutters and £20 for pliers.

Mark G - 4/4/08 at 08:07 PM

My tool box is full of snap on and mac tools but I got my pliers and side cutters from machine mart. They're a Clarke set, have soft rubber handles and a light spring to spring the handles back out again when you release the pressure. They feel great and have never let me down.

They only cost around £6 each, I'd recommend them to anyone.

blakep82 - 4/4/08 at 08:10 PM

am i right in thinking halfords pro tools have a lifetime guarantee?

Stuart_B - 4/4/08 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
am i right in thinking halfords pro tools have a lifetime guarantee?

Yes they do.

Delinquent - 4/4/08 at 08:52 PM

well plenty of choice there

The signet ones look nice as well, I'll see if I can hunt some down on the way to Halfords!

owelly - 4/4/08 at 09:01 PM

I use Knipex at home and even bought several sets for the guys at work. Very good.

blakep82 - 4/4/08 at 09:20 PM

thing is wwith the halfords ones, if they break, free replacement

Confused but excited. - 4/4/08 at 09:27 PM

Being old and thus having used countless makes of side cutters over the years, the best by far have been the Teng Tools 8" pair. They will cut 3mm steel cable easily.
They must be good, I have had two pair stolen. Now they never leave my sight.
edit: Also come with a lifetime guarantee.

[Edited on 4/4/08 by Confused but excited.]

pathfinder - 4/4/08 at 09:36 PM

yep I use teng stuff, its good stuff and the price isn't too bad, snap on stuff seems to go walkies whenever I buy it

gazza285 - 4/4/08 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
thing is wwith the halfords ones, if they break, free replacement

I'd rather buy a pair that don't break at all.

Teng good, CK good, Knipex good.

trextr7monkey - 4/4/08 at 10:23 PM

Bit late in theday but checkout Axmnster tools - bought a3 part set of pliers, side cutters and water pump pliers - yellow and red handles , weren't expensive but don't feel cheap, suspect they were probably end of line or similar.

MikeRJ - 5/4/08 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent
whenever I put "halfords" and "tools" in the same sentence it usually includes has the word "crap" somewhere - but you are not the first person to say that so maybe they've changed since I last visited! Will take a look in the morning, ta.

Was your last visit many years ago? The Halfords pro range are exceptional value for money IMO.

Delinquent - 6/4/08 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent

Was your last visit many years ago? The Halfords pro range are exceptional value for money IMO.

yes it was - MANY years ago That experience was so distressing I haven't been back since. I hear from many that the pro range of tools has changed their line up considerably so might get a few bits n pieces for a try - for the cutters I think I'm getting either Teng (as I've got lots of their other stuff, just forgot them till mentioned above!) or Signet.