Board logo

Best way to remove powder coat?
mr henderson - 20/8/08 at 07:22 PM

I need to reweld an item that has been powder coated. Unfortunately it will be at least partly visible, so a neat appearance after the work is done would be good.

Any suggestions? Especially any that don't involve heavy expenditure of cash or time?

John

stevebubs - 20/8/08 at 07:27 PM

Plasticote paint looks very similar to powdercoat...

stevebubs - 20/8/08 at 07:28 PM

Second question - how big is the item in question? If it's only small you may find a local powdercoater who will slip it in with a bigger batch for a nominal charge...

Hellfire - 20/8/08 at 07:31 PM

We recently removed the powder coat on lower rear wishbones using a flap disc in the angry grinder. Worked a treat.

Phil

Dave J - 20/8/08 at 07:46 PM

Flap abrasive disc to remove powdercoat, then fine wet and dry to feather down the remaining powdercoat edges. Recoat using a black enamel paint. Spray or brush, either goes on to a very smooth finish (probably a better finish than the exisiting powdercoat!)

Cheers

Dave

Phil.J - 20/8/08 at 09:10 PM

Nitromors paint stripper will disolve powder coating.

David Jenkins - 20/8/08 at 09:11 PM

I used a wire brush in my angry grinder - not many coatings can withstand that sort of attack!

BenB - 20/8/08 at 09:38 PM

Powder coat is relatively removable with an angle grinder. A flap disc would leave a smooth finish but for welding I'd just use a grinding disc.

I'd second a vote for Plasticote satin black. Looks just like the Powder coat on my STM chassis and roll bar (though I can confirm that it's not!!!!)....

Maradona - 21/8/08 at 04:39 AM

for me flap abrasive disc, and to paint, maybe epoxy paint from PPG will be nice

[Edited on 21/8/08 by Maradona]

rusty nuts - 21/8/08 at 06:06 PM

Paint stripper followed by wire brush in angry grinder

Jason Fletcher - 23/8/08 at 07:50 PM

a blow lamp to soften it up followed by a wire brush will take it off.

If its a small item then I could powdercoat it for you for the cost of postage or you could used Hamerite's satin black which an exact match to the normal satin black powdercoat.
Jason