Board logo

What Laptop for Solid Edge CAD?
dnmalc - 11/9/07 at 09:29 PM

I hope somebody out there may be able to help I need to buy my daughter who is about to start a degree in manufacturing design a laptop to run V18 solid edge. As this runs under XP I expect that i will need to buy a Vista machine and then run XP pro on it as an alternative OS. Currently I am looking a Toshiba P100 machine with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 processor running at 2GHz, 2GB of DDR II SDRAM (expandable to 4GB), 200GB hard drive and an NVidia GeForce 7600 graphics card.
My question is basically do people believe this sound adequate or should I be looking for some other capability.

Note waiting for V20 is not an option as UGS seem to be having problems achieving adequate performance with this using Vista and currently cannot recommend a graphics card or confirm its release.

Thanks

billynomates - 11/9/07 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Currently I am looking a Toshiba P100

Thanks

I think you'll find these were actually made by Ford.

Confused but excited. - 11/9/07 at 10:04 PM

Hellfire - 11/9/07 at 11:57 PM

Personally I'd dump Vista anyway as it's a pile of poo. I've been running UG all day on a 3 year old Dell Laptop with 2Gb RAM 2Mhz CPU and 256Mb VRAM... a little bit slow in places but the latest Laptops should cope ok.
I've been looking at the latest batches of PC's and the equivalent specification machines with Vista are between 75-100 cheaper than XP.... perhaps cos word travels quick about how rubbish Vista really is.

Steve

brynhamlet - 12/9/07 at 05:32 AM

You can still buy laptops with XP on then if you buy them through a business. I recently bought a laptop from PC World and I've got old software which won't run on Vista. Their answer was no problem we'll sell it to with XP and it was cheaper than buying it through the domestic sales

richijenkin - 12/9/07 at 01:44 PM

Our old versions of some of the cad software wont work with vista! Stick with XP.
That setup should run it fine. I would reccomend getting the 4Gb Ram, lowering the HD space and using the money to get an external drive, that way she can always use one of the uni pc's and still have her drawings.

dnmalc - 15/9/07 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, my daughter will be going with the Toshiba while I am wondering how I can secretly get a pick up in to the garage: