Board logo

I need a widget ....
RazMan - 10/4/06 at 10:00 AM

....... that helps position the bonnet as it is closed to ensure that the panels meet squarely. It is a sort of conical pin which mates with a hole in the other surface like this.

Any clues as to where I can start looking?

[Edited on 10-4-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment IMG_1648.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_1648.JPG

graememk - 10/4/06 at 10:02 AM

cant you use a rivnut and take the head off a bolt making it cone shaped

very loscost.

RazMan - 10/4/06 at 10:11 AM

Yep, I noticed someone doing that at the Detling show at the weekend. They put a sharpened bolt through an M8 rivnut and located it in an ally plate with a suitable hole.
As you say, very locost but I would like to find a plated version like the one in the pic, or maybe a nylon version.

carlgeldard - 10/4/06 at 10:18 AM

There is something like that fitted to the hubs on Mk2 fiat puntos. They are there to help you to line up the wheels before fitting the studs

Carl

SixedUp - 10/4/06 at 10:26 AM

How about some old tent poles? They normally have a nylon end-piece that looks almost exactly like what you need ... often even have a "skirt" around them to secure the pole to the ground with tent pegs.

You could cut (or pull?) them off and then secure (upside down) to the car, possibly with rivets ...

Cheers
Richard

ReMan - 10/4/06 at 10:51 AM

These any good?

http://www.safe-servers.co.uk/~cfasten/acatalog/Metric_Pike_Nuts.html

I'm looking for something myself to locate my bonnet on the top chassis rail, though needs to be quite a bit smaller.
I think they may well be turned by the builders? so may well end up making my own.
I'm sure theres a few people on here who would make yous ome if you as£ed nicely?

RazMan - 10/4/06 at 11:23 AM

That's more like it - and chrome too!

The M10 version would seem to be a good bet. All I would have to do is chop off most of the nut end and mount it with a bolt from the other side of the panel.

simonH - 10/4/06 at 11:38 AM

only a us version found so far but they must be available over here and rubber so would damp vibration

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRIUMPH-HOOD-LOCATING-PINS-TR4-TR250-TR6-Spitfire-GT6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34200QQitemZ4629538425QQrdZ1QQsspagena meZWD2V

pewe - 10/4/06 at 12:03 PM

Triumph Spitfire, Herald, Vitesse & GT6 bonnet cones from www.rimmerbros.co.uk.
Cheers. Pewe.
PS comment from Lolocost stall holder at Detling as I tried to down the price on a pair of SVA bonnet clips "You don't have to buy them..." Funny and there's me thinking he was there to sell things!

Hurdsey - 10/4/06 at 12:34 PM

Westfield do something almost identical to your pic, it locates the front of the bonnet into the nosecone.

Paul

Kissy - 10/4/06 at 02:17 PM

Make 'em out of a stainless fastener (screw/bolt) - will polish up and no corrosion issues.

stevebubs - 10/4/06 at 02:26 PM

Similar to a westfield locating pin.....as sold (with locating gromit) by their parts dept.

stevebubs - 10/4/06 at 02:30 PM

What I think you need to order is

Bonnet Lock Kit - Part #5502043

I have an unfitted pack in the garage if you want pictures

[Edited on 10/4/06 by stevebubs]

stevebubs - 10/4/06 at 02:33 PM

Some Pictures Here

7th and 21st Sept are the dates to look at

[Edited on 10/4/06 by stevebubs]

RazMan - 10/4/06 at 04:34 PM

Kissy, If I had a lathe then I would make them myself, but unfortunately I have to buy these or get them made.

Steve, The Westy price for the kit is £35!! I only want the fixings and not the bonnet too! I like the idea of using a grommet which will reduce vibration.

Triton - 10/4/06 at 05:45 PM

I used cap heads to locate the bonnet on the Challenger....seemed to work ok.

RazMan - 10/4/06 at 06:07 PM

I need the taper as the bodywork is a little squiffy and needs to be persuaded into the right position.

Triton - 10/4/06 at 06:16 PM

oh right....
Have you tried www.Big head.co.uk? perhaps they have something amongst their groovy stuff.

You could always mould something up ...male and a female shape that locate etc...?

stevebubs - 10/4/06 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Kissy, If I had a lathe then I would make them myself, but unfortunately I have to buy these or get them made.

Steve, The Westy price for the kit is £35!! I only want the fixings and not the bonnet too! I like the idea of using a grommet which will reduce vibration.

Razman - seems expensive but the £35 includes the locks and custom-made cam-lock thingy. Slightly cheaper than the aerocatch option.

RazMan - 10/4/06 at 09:11 PM

Trouble is I've already fitted two pairs of Aerocatches (which are superb) and I really just need to square up the panels with location pins. I need the taper to help me close everything easily without having to jump all around the car straightening things up. Eventually the fibreglass will 'learn' where to go but it needs to be set in position for a few weeks.

stevebubs - 10/4/06 at 09:21 PM

mebbe worth a quick call to their parts dept to see if you can just get the pins and gromits then?

RazMan - 11/4/06 at 08:21 AM

Good idea - I phoned them this morning and they can do the locating pins on their own. Still a bit pricey at £4 each (I need at least eight) but at least they have them in stock