Board logo

Lexan windshield??
Philippe - 1/9/08 at 02:30 PM

Does anyone use a polycarbonate windshield? I understand that the weight saving can be 50% and that we can bend our own with some heat. What are the pluses and minuses. In the UK do polycarbonate windshields and windows qualify for SVA?

Thanks.

PHilippe

andyps - 1/9/08 at 02:50 PM

As far as I know a polycarbonate windscreen would not be allowed in the UK. The simple problem with one would be that it would almost certainly become opaque pretty quickly once you started using wipers on it as they scratch pretty easily. I find not being able to see is a pretty big minus most of the time whilst driving - although passengers may appreciate it

Edited to add - generally OK for windows other than the front screen.

[Edited on 1/9/08 by andyps]

hellbent345 - 1/9/08 at 02:57 PM

i dont think pc windscreens are sva legal, sidescreens are fine i think but you want to be careful even adding it after sva because it scratches very easily unless its given a hardcoat, and home bending will be quite hard as if you dont heat it up enough it will form stress cracks that look like a haze very easily, and will distort if you heat it to much, also if you dont want marks in it you have to be uber careful what you bend it with (ie hard tools - that means anything harder than soft pc)
al

Humbug - 1/9/08 at 03:57 PM

OK as long as it is used as a flyscreen i.e. half height

contaminated - 1/9/08 at 04:43 PM

I made an aero screen from Lexan which is fine. Forget it for a full screen though - the wipers will scratch it to bits.

Canada EH! - 1/9/08 at 04:45 PM

There is a hardened surface Lexan used to protect school windows, but wipers would eventually wear off the coating. You can not wear Polorized sun glasses as the Lexan gives the impression of looking through oil spilled on water. I found out when I repalced the side windows on my 2 place airplane. The other problem, large shunt and you get to the windshield, it isn't going to break, have your helmet on.

Philippe - 1/9/08 at 07:54 PM

Thanks guys,
Yes lexan does not look too promising here in Canada either. I will keep looking and if I find anything spectacular I will keep you posted.
Philippe

DarrenW - 2/9/08 at 11:55 AM

Im sure it was Lexan that we used for machine guards a while back. Whilst very tough for impacts it did scratch easily. Didnt use rubber wipers on it though. Whilst i would doubt the rubber would scratch it the road dirt almost certainly would.
I seem to recall SVA book saying windscreens had to have the relevant safety mark on them.

For SVA i passed with no screen, might be an option.