Board logo

Engine Power - Fuel Capacity / Pressure
carboy0 - 1/4/12 at 08:35 PM

Hi

I need some advice on what capacity fuel pump I need for an engine producing about 165 bhp, the system needs 3 bar of pressure.

I am building an in-tank system, is 3.5 bar and 135 litres/hr going to be enough, or am I going to need a replacement pump?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 1/4/12 by carboy0]

Dave Bailey - 1/4/12 at 09:08 PM

Not sure of the pumps capacity but I am running hardlines about 6mm ID and I am using an in tank Impreza pump at 3 Bar and my motor is 170BHP. Fuel pressure is stable @ 3 bar and doesn't ever seem to drop....

I think the pump is capable of 355LPH but the flow is pretty much governed by the bore and length of the fuel lines.... The std pump is good I think for about 250 BHP.... I was worried about running lean at high revs so probably went a bit OTT...

Dave B

carboy0 - 1/4/12 at 09:50 PM

Thanks Dave

That settles the fuel pressure question. So is 135 litres/hour enough for 165 bhp?

Chippy - 1/4/12 at 10:01 PM

A fairly rough and ready way to get your maximum fuel consumption is to work on the old system that 100 bhp will consume 5 gallons an hour when flat out. So 165 bhp will use 9 gallons per hour flat out, convert that to litres and that is the very worst that you could use. Think thats 40.5 litres, so your pump will be well within limits. HTH Ray

carboy0 - 2/4/12 at 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
A fairly rough and ready way to get your maximum fuel consumption is to work on the old system that 100 bhp will consume 5 gallons an hour when flat out. So 165 bhp will use 9 gallons per hour flat out, convert that to litres and that is the very worst that you could use. Think thats 40.5 litres, so your pump will be well within limits. HTH Ray

Thanks Ray, that's just what I needed.

Chris