Board logo

Switch layout and Immobliser
andrew_s - 11/5/10 at 08:06 AM

Hi
I am currently building an MNR Vortx, is there a good way to lay the savage switches out on the centre tunnel, or is it whatever you are happy with - anything specific for iva ?

On the iva - do you have to have an immobiliser ? in the iva book it says it has to be installed with a certificate - does this mean you cannot do it yourself - this is something i am more than capable of doing, however happy to sub it out to a local alarm firm if it means passing the iva

Lastly – do your indicator switches have to have symbols on them, my savage switches are blank for the indicators, obviously i will get a visual indication on the dash

Thanks in advance for any replies

eznfrank - 11/5/10 at 08:23 AM

Yes you have to have some form of immobilisation device, can be electronic or mechanical.

Where does it say immobiliser has to be installed with a certificate?? Just seems a bit of an odd question to ask "does it have to...." and then "it has to be....."??????

If you want symbols for your savage switches contact sales@apem.co.uk, they sent me some FOC

iank - 11/5/10 at 08:28 AM

It used to say it had to be installed by a professional, but it's been relaxed in the latest version of the manual I have (version 4).

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_Theme_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual__Version_4.pdf

If you look at the change record in Section 13A you can see
"Remove the requirement of documentary evidence for the immobiliser" dated 29/06/2009

On the layout of switches, so long as the pass projection tests, are reachable and if you are using the lights for tell-tales are visible while strapped in they should be fine.

[Edited on 11/5/10 by iank]

andrew_s - 11/5/10 at 10:11 AM

Great, thanks for the replies, I will install an immobiliser myself, and work out some sort of switch design, seems sensible that you should be able to reach them and see the tell tales !

I will download version 4 of that manual as well, clearly I was looking at an out of date version.

Cheers