Board logo

Well, I ordered the book..
akumabito - 17/4/05 at 12:09 PM

I finally ordered the book, it should be here in a few days. Yay! And then the hardest part of the build will start.. convincing The Parents that I'm not insane.. and that it can be done.. and that my dad should do all the welding for me..

Any tips?

scoobyis2cool - 17/4/05 at 12:13 PM

I told my parents it would help with my degree (Automotive Engineering). They seemed to buy it To be honest I've learned 100 times as much about cars from building one than I have from my degree, so it turned out to be true!

Cheers

Pete

tom_loughlin - 17/4/05 at 12:17 PM

i did exactly the same as pete - said it would be beneficial towards my degree. my parents are just about getting used to having no garage anymore as well
im doing my final year project on my car - and its way more interesting than some of the projects on the list:
high speed machining forces...
sweepback wing geometry...
zzzzzz

Tom

akumabito - 17/4/05 at 12:26 PM

I'm working towards a degree in tourism, so somehow I don't think that's gonna work for me..

I have an idea though... I think I'll give the book as a "present" to my dad, and then start some "wouldn't it be great if..." conversation when my mom isn't around.. that should do the trick..

phelpsa - 17/4/05 at 12:32 PM

There was no persuasion from me to my dad

longwayoff - 17/4/05 at 02:16 PM

Ahhhrrr Final Dissertation.

I remember it well. It will seem like there is something missing in your life when you have handed it in. And soon you will suddenly realises there is no jobs and you got a f***ing great loan to pay. Well that was my store post degree.

Try something like: How the introduction and development of Grand Touring car has influenced trends in tourism and is it still playing a role today. Loads of scope there.

AA, RAC, Motels, BB’s, Caravaning, And you need a nice little Locost to help with your research.

Long shot I know but you can always say you have changed you mind later

scoobyis2cool - 17/4/05 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tom_loughlin
im doing my final year project on my car

Lucky you, my project is on "Modelling variability of chassis dynamometer testing". I've got 2.7 gigabytes of excel spreadsheets to wade through to get the data I need. And I don't even know what data I need. I hate my degree...

Pete

Simon - 20/4/05 at 11:09 PM

Now do the sensible thing and buy a kit

ATB

Simon

steve m - 21/4/05 at 06:57 AM

"Now do the sensible thing and buy a kit"

I agree, some of you new builders think this will be a breeze, and you will be on the road by autumn
"wrong" !!!

good luck with your new projects, as sometimes I wish I had never seen the book, and bought the cobra or GT 40 i allways wanted

If I had my time again i would by somthing like an MK chassis and suspension pack, and built it up from there (but in 1997, no one did that type of thing)

phelpsa - 21/4/05 at 09:40 AM

Iv been going over 2-years! and I dont even have a rolling chassis!

Ronin - 21/4/05 at 04:50 PM

Why not buy someone else's part built offering that they have given up on. I did. Just a little bit left to do and I will hopefully be on the road. There are always part built locosts and kits on ebay and in the magazines where people have lost interest after building for a few years.

Dale - 21/4/05 at 05:02 PM

Building the car is good distraction and therapy for me. Started mine a year and a half ago and just working on seats and pedals now. Last year really sucked in general and the car has been a great distration. It also teaches the kids a bit and gives my wife a break from me chasing her.- Well not much of a break.
Dale

werebunny - 27/4/05 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Isn't that because you post 3.37 messages per day ?

scoobyis2cool - 27/4/05 at 05:50 PM

Hey Werebunny, where abouts in Bath are you? I'm down here at uni, living in Oldfield Park.

What car are you building?

Pete

werebunny - 28/4/05 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
Hey Werebunny, where abouts in Bath are you? I'm down here at uni, living in Oldfield Park.

What car are you building?

Pete

Hey, I actually live a few miles outside Bath, but I should be doing a Music degree at Bath Spa Uni (hopefully if I get at least a B and C at A-level).

I've only discovered kit cars recently, so haven't started building (yet!) - what about you?

scoobyis2cool - 28/4/05 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by werebunny
Hey, I actually live a few miles outside Bath, but I should be doing a Music degree at Bath Spa Uni (hopefully if I get at least a B and C at A-level).

I've only discovered kit cars recently, so haven't started building (yet!) - what about you?

I'm at Bath Uni doing Automotive Engineering, in my final year now. I've been to Bath Spa a few times, a friend of a friend is doing music there and enjoying it. Good luck getting in there!

I finished my Indy last October but haven't had much chance to drive it really what with the crappy winter weather (not that that stopped me going out) and the fact that I've been down here at uni, looking forward to getting some proper driving done this summer!

Pete

clbarclay - 28/4/05 at 03:44 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Isn't that because you post 3.37 messages per day ?

Can't just be that, I'm on about 7.75 posts a day
I'll probably be in rehab soon, but still i've got nearly a rolling chassis in 4 mounths.

werebunny - 28/4/05 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
quote:

I'm at Bath Uni doing Automotive Engineering, in my final year now. I've been to Bath Spa a few times, a friend of a friend is doing music there and enjoying it. Good luck getting in there!

I finished my Indy last October but haven't had much chance to drive it really what with the crappy winter weather (not that that stopped me going out) and the fact that I've been down here at uni, looking forward to getting some proper driving done this summer!

Pete

Nice - do you have your build down here to drive? How long did it take?

Have you got MSN or something, i'm sure people don't like off-topic posts in these threads?

scoobyis2cool - 28/4/05 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Nice - do you have your build down here to drive? How long did it take?

Have you got MSN or something, i'm sure people don't like off-topic posts in these threads?

I'm sure they won't mind too much Alternatively you can U2U me by clicking the U2U button under any of my posts, or you can add me to your MSN list (scoobyis2cool@hotmail.com)

In answer to your questions, no my build isn't down here - I live in Birmingham and didn't fancy driving 120 miles with no windscreen. Plus my car is a bit temperamental at the moment and bits have a habit of breaking, so I wouldn't want to risk it!

It took me just over 2 years from buying my first donor to being on the road, but it can be done much quicker - I was a complete beginner and was also at uni for half of the year so didn't get as much done as I'd like to have done.

Pete

[Edited on 28/4/05 by scoobyis2cool]