Board logo

KIT CAR FINISHING
Krismc - 6/6/06 at 07:27 PM

Does any one know where i could put my car to get it finished off and mybees SVAed as well!

I just havent got the time or the space for the kit car anymore!!

Its a MNR VORTX and its pretty complete bar wiring and lights and some body work!!

.....and what would be the likely costs??

[Edited on 6/6/06 by Krismc]

DIY Si - 6/6/06 at 07:33 PM

Do mnr offer this service? I thought many manufacturers offered this kind of thing?

donut - 6/6/06 at 07:39 PM

Most kit car manufacturers will offer a service to finish your car. I know that MK and MAC#1 do a good job and will SVA the car for you.

As for cost..well how long is a piece of string?

Guinness - 6/6/06 at 07:40 PM

How quick do you want it finishing?

I would have thought MNR would be first choice, but there are a couple of local garages I would trust to it. My local favourite, R & P Woods in Heaton and HWR Motorsport near Newcastle Airport (build race cars and service most of the NE Caterhams).

Failing that Dene from the NE7ER's has a garage at Tynemouth. Not a single car garage but a fully equiped ex independant mechanics place, with post lifts and everything. He's nearly finished his Seven, so should have space.

What happened to your garage Kris?

You have virtually all the parts ready, so organise a build party, teams of builders working 24 hours a day for a long weekend should see it done, you provide the tea and cakes!

I'm sure the locals would help out!

Mike

Krismc - 6/6/06 at 08:02 PM

I Have all the parts,

just no the know how- megasquirt etc! takes a lot of reading and stuff i aint got time for that i only get a bit of time here and there!!

AS for my garage i only can use til 27th as ive promised to put my dads car in there while he is away- i promised back in nov before i got the kit!!

scottc - 6/6/06 at 08:32 PM

and to be honest he is a bit lacking with the tea, one cup every 8 hours or so

Krismc - 6/6/06 at 08:35 PM

Yea i put the kettle on after 4hrs and then made the tea another 2 or so hrs after that!

Cheers for your that scott- I cant remember what we actually did but

.......my other option is get as much done as possible then, just leave in storage for 3 months untill my dads garage is sorted!!

but i dont want that, i really want my car finished!!

[Edited on 6/6/06 by Krismc]

DIY Si - 6/6/06 at 08:41 PM

As suggested, just round up the locals, make the tea in advance and put it in Thermos. Buy the cakes in from the local shop and away you go. You'd be amazed what can be achieved by 8-12 blokes/people in a weekend. I would offer to help, but you live miles away up in the snowy north...

scottc - 6/6/06 at 08:43 PM

Summers here(ish) big tarpaulin and leave it on the drive. You've got most of it done.

Another option would be to get as much done as possible (before you lose the garage) then get someone else to finish (is gonna be cheaper - unless we really f**k it up).

[Edited on 6/6/06 by scottc]

Krismc - 6/6/06 at 09:12 PM

thats what ill do ill get as much as i can do now and see how far i get!!

muzchap - 6/6/06 at 09:13 PM

MNR or MAC#1 would be my vote....

Paul G - 7/6/06 at 08:12 AM

Dunno where you are based but there is this place in the midlands:

http://smartfxmidlands.com/

[Edited on 7/6/06 by Paul G]

marc n - 7/6/06 at 09:09 AM

how about you bringing the car here and you can work on it here, weekends and evenings ???

Marcus - 7/6/06 at 10:51 AM

Now there's an offer I wouldn't refuse!! (if I hadn't finished)

Good on you Marc!

Marcus

Krismc - 7/6/06 at 04:41 PM

That would be absolutly bloomin marvolous, didnt think you would have room!!

If i work on it untill the weekend before the 27th then i could bring it up then (sat or sun 24/25th) if that would be ok!!

....just need a trailer and a towing vehicle....HMMMMMM

[Edited on 7/6/06 by Krismc]

Krismc - 7/6/06 at 09:23 PM

Well i may have the lend of a jeep for the day- and last time i lent it he give me works fuel card to fill it up!

thats the pulling vehicle!!

just need a trailer... the guy whos digging the holes in the street has got one and said he might lend me it, that would be a bonus!!!

marc n - 8/6/06 at 08:31 AM

if not we have a trailer here you can borrow, should have four of the cars out of the workshop end of next week, so space should be ok plus i can store another two in the truck and two in the other store so we should be ok

Krismc - 8/6/06 at 08:04 PM

BRILLIANT marc. i forgot to ask when i seen you today, you seen me wracking my brains tring to remember what i was going to ask!!

i confirm which date ill bringing the car down!!