Board logo

Power from River
Slater - 16/5/09 at 08:52 AM

I have a river running past the front of my house.

River Urie
River Urie

It's fairly fast flowing, I have often wondered how the use the river to generate power.
I came across these websites below. The concept looks perfect. I have never seen one in use though.

Has anybody done anything similar? I am sure it can't be too difficult to make one of these.

linker

linker 2

[Edited on 16/5/09 by Slater]

minitici - 16/5/09 at 08:59 AM

May be a hazard to navigation

I note that your river has regular boat traffic.......

gregs - 16/5/09 at 09:06 AM

I love the idea - my parents have a river at the end of their garden and have often thought of how much power could be pulled out but......being the UK, I think you have to get authority from the Rivers agency before legally doing anything, which probably costs £X00000 as they will need to survey the river 10 times from source to exit to confirm your 'fits in the back of your car' turbine won't cause non-reversible damage to the river system

MikeR - 16/5/09 at 09:08 AM

You will probably find you don't have the rights to tap the river for power or water.

Friends family own an old mill - they have the rights to tap the water in the deads. They looked at it 20 years ago but decided the cost (back then) wasn't worth it.

JoelP - 16/5/09 at 09:13 AM

thats a very big water wheel, for very little power!

Would you get away with damning it, just a weir to raise it a foot or so? Then a pipe with a nozzle and a home made device to generate from.

You can buy an 850w generator for £40, and use the innards from it.

BenB - 16/5/09 at 09:17 AM

Certainly if you want to use water to power a water mill you have to pay for the privelage. There's probably also rules about access using the river and if you put a turbine across it there'd be an issue....

ReMan - 16/5/09 at 09:29 AM

There's no way you'll be allowed to do that!

I think it would constitute Renewable energy, give off no CO2, and be environmentally friendly.

That must be illegal

t16turbotone - 16/5/09 at 09:30 AM

200 watts is very little power......i dont think the project would be worth it......approx lighting power for three rooms in your house. Maybe if you spent a couple of grand on li battries, and a couple of grand on dc to ac invertor, and just use the 200 watts to charge batteries

zilspeed - 16/5/09 at 10:01 AM

Mate of mine has a neighbour who wanted to do that very thing.

He got SEPA up to check it over and the bloke agreed to grant the permit at a cost of a grand or so.

Then came the killer.

You must also get a permit to discharge the water back into the river as it's now industrial waste...

That cost another £500 for the permit.

£1,500 in permits to take out some spare kinetic energy from some running water.

richmars - 16/5/09 at 11:02 AM

What about taking heat out of it?
Does it freeze in winter? Air/water heat pumps for domestic central heating are getting common, and work down to -20 deg C, so water at just above freezing should be fine, plus you don't need to worry about discharge back into the river, just a heat exchange sunk into it.

Mark Allanson - 16/5/09 at 12:15 PM

You will just end up with a load of chopped up trout!