Board logo

Musical discovery - Con Te Partiro
nick205 - 5/4/10 at 08:59 PM

Strayed off my usual diet of rock and techno and discovered the song Con Te Partiro (Time for goodbye). Came across it watching the Sopranos box set (series II IIRC).

What an awesome song, truly makes my spine tingle listening to it. Don't know if you'd call it opera or what, but I'm looking to see what else I can find now.

Steve Hignett - 5/4/10 at 09:04 PM

Youtube link (hope it's the correct one!)

dave1888 - 5/4/10 at 09:04 PM

It was sung by Andrea Bocelli i think that might be the most upto date version. Dont listen to his xmas album cos its pish.

nick205 - 5/4/10 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Youtube link (hope it's the correct one!)

That's the one

nick205 - 5/4/10 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
It was sung by Andrea Bocelli i think that might be the most upto date version. Dont listen to his xmas album cos its pish.

Already tried that of my mum's shelf - as you quite rightly say, rather pish indeed.

Red16 - 5/4/10 at 09:17 PM

Sarah Brightman does a good version of it, the duet with her and Andrea Bocelli is good too imo.

The English version is called Time To Say Goodbye.

locogeoff - 5/4/10 at 09:19 PM

I became aware of the song in the same way. That episode has the directors comentary on it and worth watching helps you pick up even more nuances.

On a musical front try "Au Font Du Temple Saint" from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers" a similarly stirring piece of Opera, however it is an important piece for me and others may not have the same affininty.

[Edited on 5/4/10 by locogeoff]

Rod Ends - 5/4/10 at 11:02 PM

Jessye Norman - Im Abendrot (Eichendorff)

David Jenkins - 6/4/10 at 06:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Don't know if you'd call it opera or what,

He's not an opera singer - watch the 3 Tenors to see how far away they have to put the microphones for real opera singers!

He's got a terrific voice though...

David Jenkins - 6/4/10 at 06:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Jessye Norman - Im Abendrot (Eichendorff)

One of my favourite bits of music - not exactly a good match for the OP's love song though! (Im Abendrot is a very sad song about growing old...)

nick205 - 6/4/10 at 07:54 AM

excellent - some more things to explore

Surrey Dave - 6/4/10 at 11:31 AM

If you have heard it within a funeral service it is a very powerful piece to hear from then on.....................................

mangogrooveworkshop - 6/4/10 at 11:39 AM

EEEEK YOU LOT HAVE GONE SOFT , SORT OF CATERHAMY

scootz - 6/4/10 at 11:49 AM

My Granddad wanted it at his funeral... unfortunately we had to grant his wish just over a year ago