Board logo

One for cat lovers
jacko - 11/12/10 at 06:25 PM

Hi all asking for my Dad
Is oil dry and cat litter the same stuff
If he use's oil dry can it / will it harm his cat ?

Anyone used it for cat's
Jacko

balidey - 11/12/10 at 06:28 PM

So let me get this right.... he has an oil spill and want to mop it up with the cat? Should be fine then.

twybrow - 11/12/10 at 06:34 PM

It does really depend how oily your cat is....

Rod Ends - 11/12/10 at 06:39 PM

Yes - cat litter can be used for soaking up oil spills!

I think Practical Classics? did a comparison of various stuff and cat litter scored best.

StevieB - 11/12/10 at 06:41 PM

It's pretty much the same stuff I think, but why use oil dry for the cat when proper cat litter is cheap anyway.

I use cat litter in the garage to mop up oil spills well enough though.

jacko - 11/12/10 at 06:41 PM

Think i will send my 90year old Dad to sort you two out

[Edited on 11/12/10 by jacko]

[Edited on 12/12/10 by jacko]

marcjagman - 11/12/10 at 07:01 PM

The cat wont use oil dry because, are you ready for this, it doesn't smell right to them so they stay clear. Cat litter is best for oil spills as well as cat spills.

jacko - 11/12/10 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
The cat wont use oil dry because, are you ready for this, it doesn't smell right to them so they stay clear. Cat litter is best for oil spills as well as cat spills.

What about mixing the two

snapper - 11/12/10 at 07:27 PM

It's called Fullers earth, a well known substance that absorbs most things without changing into something (more) nasty

adithorp - 11/12/10 at 07:37 PM

It's generally the same stuff, however some of the cat litter has anti odour additive... but don't use the pink stuff for the cat; It burns thier feet (slightly).

The Shootist - 11/12/10 at 07:37 PM

Cat litter and Oil dry are the exact same thing.....

My employer is the worlds largest producer of Bentonite clay, and we sold our conventional cat litter(non-clumping)market to Oil Dry Corp years ago.

Conventional cat litter and Oil Dry are both Calcium Bentonite clay that has been calcined.

LoMoss - 11/12/10 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Shootist
Cat litter and Oil dry are the exact same thing.....

My employer is the worlds largest producer of Bentonite clay, and we sold our conventional cat litter(non-clumping)market to Oil Dry Corp years ago.

Conventional cat litter and Oil Dry are both CalciumBentonite clay that has been calcined.

I will doing some backyard foundry casting soon. Can your cat litter be ground/powdered and mixed with sand to make green sand?

sorry for the variation in thead but always looking for locost options

Cheers

Moss
Just googled it... looks like you can with clump forming cat litter

[Edited on 11/12/10 by LoMoss]

The Shootist - 12/12/10 at 08:21 AM

Use a clumping litter. Clumping litter is Sodium Bentonite, and developes better strength.When wetted it will disperse in the sand just as if it were ground to powder.

Better yet...

To do home casting, try contacting a local foundry. often they will give you some of their waste molding sand. This sand has been conditioned and has bond(clay) added already. It will be sufficient for home use, without trying to blend a workable sand on your own.

[Edited on 12/12/10 by The Shootist]

interestedparty - 12/12/10 at 12:00 PM

There are a number of different types of cat litter on the market.