Board logo

What was the name of the first nightclub you frequented
jossey - 1/2/12 at 05:10 PM

mine was YELL in leeds (merrion centre)

What was yours lets see how many people frequented the same clubs lol

Wadders - 1/2/12 at 05:27 PM

Brannigans The F club in Leeds when i was a 15 year old punk

And then a year or two later Pips in Wakefield was a regular Friday night venue.....Sticky carpets, crap beer, regular brawls, but plenty of totty! Ah it takes me back......

[Edited on 1/2/12 by Wadders]

Coopz - 1/2/12 at 05:29 PM

Mine was Walkabout in croydon its shut down now, still some good memories!

It was only four years ago

bbwales - 1/2/12 at 05:30 PM

Sgt Peppers in Wrexham, now closed and it is up for sale and so tempting if I won the lottery...lol

steve m - 1/2/12 at 05:35 PM

Cinderellas Strood Motel

on the way to Brighton

I did a search and it was back in the late 70,s early 80,s

Steve

[Edited on 1/2/12 by steve m]

T66 - 1/2/12 at 05:48 PM

The Burgundy Cobbler - Whitley Bay 1981

morcus - 1/2/12 at 06:06 PM

Depends what you count.

I'd say Guru in Glasgow but I'd been to various student unions and bars that were essentially clubs.

Never really enjoyed it though.

stevebubs - 1/2/12 at 06:12 PM

Eutopia and Washington Heights in Reading...

Mark Allanson - 1/2/12 at 06:14 PM

Mr Peggotty's in St Ives, done out like the inside of an upturned boat - great place, but long gone now converted into holiday flats like most of the rest of the town

dhutch - 1/2/12 at 06:22 PM

Probably Echoes in Loughborough - Comfortably Sticky!

Xtreme Kermit - 1/2/12 at 06:49 PM

Norbreck Hotel in Blackpool for me...

phelpsa - 1/2/12 at 07:04 PM

Liquid in Newbury. Urgh!

AntonUK - 1/2/12 at 07:05 PM

Eclipse in brierley hill for me... was an utter dump but at the time we thought it was the greatest place on earth.

Got to admit tho we had some great fun there

liam.mccaffrey - 1/2/12 at 07:05 PM

5AMS
It was "a members only club". You had to go there before 8PM and buy you're beer tokens for the night.
Then the token bar closed and the Members only club opened, for drinks you would then redeem your tokens. It was open until 5AM this was in the mid 90's. Obviously some kind of licensing kludge.

twybrow - 1/2/12 at 07:16 PM

Hot House in Exeter - the heady mix of beer, cheap perfume, smoke, and foam - them were the days!!!

joemotion - 1/2/12 at 08:05 PM

The pink coconut in Derby - great times!

JoelP - 1/2/12 at 08:12 PM

probably majestyk in leeds

I once went 5 times in one week

loggyboy - 1/2/12 at 08:29 PM

Ziggys in Basingstoke, got shut down before I turned 18, then started using Buds Bar, and Utopia in Reading.

TimC - 1/2/12 at 08:50 PM

The Crystal Rooms, Hereford.

Wowoweewaaaah! Great times,

Ninehigh - 1/2/12 at 08:55 PM

The Carlton in Warrington, next to Woolies...

When my dad found out he asked if they had managed to keep hold of their bar licence, cos they often didn't have one when he went

mookaloid - 1/2/12 at 09:15 PM

Carousel Club Northallerton

TAZZMAXX - 1/2/12 at 09:36 PM

This thread is a bit of a worry for me as I can't even remember the names of the clubs I went in! I wasn't really a nightclub person, preferred lock ins at the local pub for a late drink. Cheaper as well.

PAUL FISHER - 1/2/12 at 09:42 PM

Remember my first nightclub like it was yesterday, Roxy Sheffield 1983 a Thursday night went with the lads from work, Thursday night was grab a granny night they called it

KitCatE1 - 1/2/12 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

ditto

hillbillyracer - 1/2/12 at 09:49 PM

Buskers in Carlisle, small city that it is there wasn't much choice back then. Proper place though, dark, loud, expensive (at least for us country lads!) & sticky carpets! Loads of places in town now, different night altogether now.

ReMan - 1/2/12 at 09:53 PM

The Palais in Leicester I think

GeoffT - 1/2/12 at 10:01 PM

Used to have a good snigger at the club occasionally featured in a TV comedy prog (Smith & Jones IIRC) whose name was 'WANQUERS'

jossey - 1/2/12 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KitCatE1
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

ditto

I went every Friday but went to jumping jacks first lol.

Robert miles children laser show. Classic

SteveWalker - 1/2/12 at 10:14 PM

The Banshee and Rockworld, Manchester.

Proby - 1/2/12 at 10:25 PM

Used to go to a little place called 'the venue' in Wolverhampton. Some good memories of the poo hole! Then it was 'The Dorchester' that we started going to. What a haunt!

bi22le - 1/2/12 at 11:02 PM

Zens in dartford.

banging nights and good music. I still end up in there about once a year!

trialsman - 1/2/12 at 11:45 PM

"One Block West" It was one block west of the Missouri Kansas Border on the Kansas side. Missouri had a 21 yr old drinking law and Kansas had an 18 yr old drinking law. I'm sure you Brit's never had such antiquated laws? Russ

welderman - 2/2/12 at 12:36 AM

The Park nightclub. Charnock Richard. Chorley. They did alot of hitman and her show there Pete waterman and michela stracken if it's pronounced right. Those were the days

[Edited on 2/2/12 by welderman]

scootz - 2/2/12 at 08:27 AM

Mr G's in Aberdeen when I was 16 (my sister was working as a barmaid there and got us in). My eardrums were thumping for hours afterwards. Had my first kebab on the way home too!

FASTdan - 2/2/12 at 09:27 AM

Maestro's Bradford 1996-1997. Then Tumblers Bradford shortly after (indy club) then moved on to Majestyk Leeds and a load of others both Bradford and Leeds.

Echo's Loughborough has been mentioned - reminds me of my student days 1998-2002.

nick205 - 2/2/12 at 10:06 AM

The Underground - Guildford 90-91 (typical sticky carpet, cheap lager and multiple failed attempts at copping off)

Jilly's Rockworld, Hacienda, Megadog and Herbal Tea Party - Manchester 92-95 (rock or rave and sometimes both)

Happy Days

Haven't been clubbing in about 10 yrs though, not sure what it's like these days...?

chrisxr2 - 2/2/12 at 10:34 AM

Te LEL in st ives cambridgeshire named after the company that owns it something lie lelly electrical ltd.

Confused but excited. - 2/2/12 at 01:52 PM

The Knightsbridge in Duke St, Liverpool. Run by Paul and Fran, a really cool nice couple.
I used to go on Wednesday night to listen to Colonel Bagshot and Friday night 'cos it was packed ith group 1 totty.
That was at the start of the seventies.

RichardK - 2/2/12 at 02:22 PM

the Walliston in Knaresborough or carrintons in harrogate
Cheers
Rich

JoelP - 2/2/12 at 02:27 PM

Actually, the first night club i went to was really a day club, a place in leeds called scrumpies, we'd be down there at 15 drinking newcastle brown ale all afternoon, then go home for tea and try to look sober Happy days. They played all the best heavy metal.

Ivan - 2/2/12 at 02:34 PM

"Blow Up" that was in a cellar near Greenmarket Square in Cape Town - guess I was around about 17 so 1966/7 or thereabouts - I'm amazed I even remember that.

bobinspain - 2/2/12 at 07:48 PM

'Crculation Club' Burnley in the late 60s.

Memorable bar for music/atmosphere/drink, 'The Amstedam Bar' Huddersfield in the late 70s.

I got around in those days eh?

mcerd1 - 2/2/12 at 07:58 PM

probably subway or espionage in edinburgh...

basicaly anywhere you could still get in at 1 in the morning when your half cut and just been kicked out the pub down the road

woodster - 4/2/12 at 10:06 AM

cinderella rockerfellas in bolton or bennys in bury early 80s

Agriv8 - 4/2/12 at 12:54 PM

If any of you have heard of it/been I will Be VERY suprised.

Insanely bad Il Trovatore Nightclub in - Ilkey Circa 1988

Proper night club - Maestro's Bradford 1990

Thats sent me down a memory lane trip and a half

Agriv8

Dick Axtell - 4/2/12 at 04:07 PM

Back in the days when God was young, I was taken to a place called "Club Crescendo", in one of the less attractive parts of Chatham. Timewise circa 1959/60.

This Club was less nightclub, (although that's when it "hotted up" ), more of a strip joint. It was utterly repellent, and I left early.
The following week, it was raided by the cops, and its subsequent closure, plus prosecutions, appeared later in the NoW.

That experience gave me long-held reservations about "nightclubs", although the younger generation informed me that such places are nowadays more concerned with recorded music, and selling booze at inflated prices.

Plus ca change......

[Edited on 4/2/12 by Dick Axtell]

Badger_McLetcher - 4/2/12 at 08:41 PM

The Mandrake in Bristol, about a decade ago. The place was a cave, but they played good music on a Thursday night and the beers were cheap!

fullpint - 4/2/12 at 09:08 PM

Bog Island in Bath. Yep it was a converted public loo

AdrianH - 4/2/12 at 09:21 PM

The Aquarius Club Bolton early late 70's early 80's.

Adrian

foskid - 4/2/12 at 09:55 PM

The" Rio Bar " in Elmpt near Bruggen in Germany, Boy was that an eye opener for an 18 year old

Pezza - 5/2/12 at 08:03 AM

The Hungry Years in Brighton, good times.