Board logo

CEC TO BEC
Iaing - 11/10/11 at 08:28 PM

Hey folks after a year of reliability issues with my current 1.8 k series Indy r I'm thinking of putting her down to Mk to have a hayabusa conversion done.

Car is predominantly used for weekend blasts & track so not that bothered about having the smoothness of a car engine & gearbox tbh.

What's everyone's thoughts, should I go for it? Weight saving alone will be massive.

Thanks in advance

Iain

scootz - 11/10/11 at 08:31 PM

What?

Put a BIKE engine into a CAR?

Are you mad!?

welderman - 11/10/11 at 08:33 PM

yay another convert

tomgregory2000 - 11/10/11 at 08:35 PM

You reckon your going to get less reliability issues with a bike engine hahaha (im in the cec camp) but if YOU want the bike engine go for it

steve m - 11/10/11 at 08:40 PM

Can i have your k series setup ??

lewis - 11/10/11 at 08:42 PM

It's not natural I tell thee

Iaing - 11/10/11 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
You reckon your going to get less reliability issues with a bike engine hahaha (im in the cec camp) but if YOU want the bike engine go for it

What reliability issues should I expect with a bike engine apart from the clutch?

K series setup will be for sale if I decide to go for it. It's not standard either :-)

motorcycle_mayhem - 11/10/11 at 08:52 PM

Keep a car engine in it, simply for reliability.

If the K-series is proving troublesome, then Ford comes to your aid with Zetec/Duratec or the good old solid Pinto. Really is nothing better. Problems with 'reverse' and all that bike engine nonsense are simply eliminated as well. Far less noise, less vibes, more torque and well.... simply having a car engine makes the thing like, err... a car. A bike engine will only give you noise, silly revs, sequential gearshifting, F1 type driving style and a wide grin. It all just encourages you to have too much fun, which may result in you being identified by the body snatchers, cause global devastation or armageddon in general.

Better still, there are complete Ford conversion packages available, old Mondeo's (even Sierra's if you can find one) come with great engines. If you retain the Mondeo body kit and chassis, you'll find that a bonus too. It's quiet, comfortable, comes with a good roof and comfy seats. CD players and cup holders in later models.

If all this sounds a bit too much hard work, other complete engine/body kits are available ready built at sensible prices, try a nice little Citroen Berlingo.

ReMan - 11/10/11 at 08:53 PM

None, do it you wont regret it

eddie99 - 11/10/11 at 08:53 PM

If you want better reliability, i wouldn't do it, if you want a BEC because of the buzz then go for it. I have suffered massively with BEC reliability but i plan on racing again in bikesports next season so it must be doing something for me

Iaing - 11/10/11 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
If you want better reliability, i wouldn't do it, if you want a BEC because of the buzz then go for it. I have suffered massively with BEC reliability but i plan on racing again in bikesports next season so it must be doing something for me

What reliability issues should I expect?

adithorp - 11/10/11 at 09:32 PM

If it's anything like mine, none! I've got a tuned R1 waiting to go in mine but I can't break the current one dispite 13000miles of trying. The way it's going I might have to break my golden rule (If it ain't broken don't fix it)

mark chandler - 12/10/11 at 07:01 AM

Bike engines do 60,000 miles in bikes, gearbox is designed to work with the torque and BHP so no reason why it should be unreliable as everthing is matched.

The issue is more around unsympathetic driving technique, rough gearbox changes stuffing the cogs and thrashing to death which would also screw up a cars engine and box.

Regards Mark

Hellfire - 12/10/11 at 11:16 AM

If you want reliability, then go BEC but keep it standard. If you go down the tuning road for more power and start adding turbos and superchargers etc, you'll sacrifice reliability IMHO.

Phil

Iaing - 12/10/11 at 11:47 AM

I think a standard hayabusa will do me just fine!

MikeRJ - 12/10/11 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Bike engines do 60,000 miles in bikes, gearbox is designed to work with the torque and BHP so no reason why it should be unreliable as everthing is matched.

The fact that's it's dragging along 2-3 times the weight it is designed for is what puts the stress on the gearbox and clutch. If weight isn't a factor then why do so many people have problems with gearboxes and clutches?

Steve Hignett - 12/10/11 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Iaing
I think a standard hayabusa will do me just fine!

Just do it...

Hellfire - 12/10/11 at 04:43 PM

A ZX12R will give you the same power/performance as a Busa but at a cheaper price. BUT.... if you do intend a few mods in the future, go for the Busa.

Phil

metro6r4 - 13/10/11 at 07:38 PM

if you don't mind my asking what spec is the troublesome k series as i raced a 220hp engined metro without much much trouble and im now planning on fitting it to my Haynes roadster although i may be after some spares if you decide to sell it