Board logo

Hydraulic clutch question
andrew-theasby - 12/8/12 at 12:50 PM

Just changed the clutch on my girlfriends citreon c3, and on re building it, I found the master cylinder had extended itself without anyone pressing the clutch. To get it to fit back in, I could compress it by hand, but it was springy and returned back every time I left go, unlike brakes which stay put when you move them. I've got it fitted in now, but this springiness will be keeping a bit of pressure on the release bearing which I didn't think wasa good thing.is there something wrong here or is that normal, its the first hydraulic one I've done?

andrew-theasby - 12/8/12 at 12:57 PM

Forgot to mention, the reason I changed it in the first place was it was slipping, no sign of any oil in there, could this be connected as it seemed a little early at less than 70k miles and the old plate didn't look worn out completely?

[Edited on 12/8/12 by andrew-theasby]

rusty nuts - 12/8/12 at 05:24 PM

I suspect you mean the slave cylinder not the master? Its pretty common to find the push rod on the slave cylinder extends when the cylinder is removed from the gearbox . I've seen a lot of worn out clutches over the years and have noticed that a lot of younger drivers seem to wear them out quicker due to the way they are taught to drive, apparently they are taught to hold the car on a slope using the clutch in a lot of cases

andrew-theasby - 13/8/12 at 06:44 AM

Sorry yes thats right, I mean the slave cylinder

1340gt - 13/8/12 at 06:16 PM

sounds like you should scrap it and work on the 7!!