Board logo

bike carbs
maccavvy - 17/3/13 at 03:18 PM

Im looking at getting some bike carbs for my 2.0 pinto I want to source the carbs get a manifold and do it all myself.
Ive seen loads of carbs on ebay etc ,what would be best to get, are a particular model better should I get from biggest engine possible or are ones from a 600cc bike ok.

any advice appreciated

macc man - 17/3/13 at 04:48 PM

I used ZX9R carbs on my 2.0 Zetec work well. Having said that I tried ZX6R and seemed fine also. The 600cc ones will nearly always be cheaper and loads about. Personal choice I guess. I think the potential for further mods is better with the bigger carbs.

Daddylonglegs - 17/3/13 at 05:05 PM

Sorry to hijack maccavvy

I am thinking of doing the same. I have some ZX9R carbs, what else will I need apart from making a manifold?

Ta

snapper - 17/3/13 at 07:44 PM

As a general rule match carb outlet size to engine inlet port size
Can't go far wrong

maccavvy - 17/3/13 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Can't go far wrong

but what is the port size of a standard pinto 2.0 ????

maccavvy - 17/3/13 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Can't go far wrong

oops double post.

[Edited on 17/3/13 by maccavvy]

umgrybab - 17/3/13 at 08:58 PM

I think more important than matching port size is matching flow rate. A bike engine revs out to nearly 14K with only a 600cc engine gives you a max flow rate of 8400 l/min. A 2.0 pinto will reach this flow rate at 4200 rpm, so 600cc carbs may be a little small but 750's at 14K give you an equivalent at 5250 rpm. This may be as far as you want to push your unmod'd pinto. This isn't law in anyway. Its just a rule of thumb. It should allow easier set up and tuning by matching the fluid flow rate.