Board logo

What guage will work with the pinto engine temp sender
kp - 8/4/13 at 03:49 PM

I've been trying to get find lowcost a solution to this for a while now.

Does anyone know what temp gauge will work with the original pinto sender?

Or does anyone have a link to a sender/guage combination with will fit the pinto sender threads.

My budget for this project ran out a long time ago, so cost is an issue.

At the moment I am running with a very attractive Jag XJS-V12 temp guage, which I couldn't get to interface with the pinto sender, So I really have no idea what going on engine wise. Not a comfortable driving situation.

DarrenW - 8/4/13 at 05:57 PM

Do you have the jag sender? Could you make an adaptor boss?

snapper - 8/4/13 at 06:20 PM

The Jag sender in a top hose adaptor would be favourable
If your lucky it will fit in the Pinto head

kp - 8/4/13 at 09:24 PM

snapper & DarrenW, I am reluctant to put the sender in the top hose as I would not get any indication overheading if the thermostat failed. Besides (and more to the point), I don't have the jag sender.

When I picked up the jag gauge I was hoping to be able to rig a little circuit to convert the voltage from the pinto sender to the jag gauge, but I could never get the gauge to read consistently for a given voltage. The needle on the gauge would move depending on orientation. A few degrees from vertical would give a very different reading to the gauge being vertical.

I suspect that the gauge doesn't work straight DC off voltages, but maybe of some sort of pulsed signal?

Macbeast - 8/4/13 at 10:11 PM

I got mine ( Smiths Classic) from europaspares dot com but they seem to have got expensive