Board logo

Converting 2.0l mk 4 Cortina automatic to a manual
Jayce Lane - 28/10/03 at 01:13 PM

What I know about engines is a little dangerous, the reason for the post!

I have a 2.0l mk 4 cortina engine and automatic gearbox. I want to convert it to a 5 speed. Will the type 9 work and will the propshaft fit?

Please help on what parts i am going to need to convert, or what should I be looking for?

Thanks guys

ned - 28/10/03 at 01:35 PM

the type 9 will fit, i've just bought a type9 (for its concentric clutch mechanism) from a guy who had a pinto in a mk1 cortina (conversion). i have the prop if it's of any use? my donor sierra had a type 9 on a 2ltr pinto aswell.

Ned.

timf - 28/10/03 at 01:50 PM

i think you might have a shock at the postage ned

ned - 28/10/03 at 01:55 PM

I am happy to take some pics of it, or buyer collects/pays postage

Ned.

JoelP - 28/10/03 at 03:18 PM

for the cost of sending it to south africa he could almost buy a ford dealership and start making original parts!

would it just need a normal clutch, bellhousing and box?

chrisg - 28/10/03 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
would it just need a normal clutch, bellhousing and box?

Yep, and a manual flywheel and spigot bearing in it.

Cheers

Chris

steve m - 28/10/03 at 09:06 PM

not sure if you will have this problem, but

on a 1600 xflow engine (automatic version) that I was given
all looked good untill i tried to change the flywheel

as, on the automatic version there is no provision for a spigot bearing, as the torque converter bolts to the flywheel

le, no hole for it to to go, so the engine was ok, but I had to swop the crankshaft over with the old engine

theconrodkid - 28/10/03 at 09:22 PM

steve there should be the hole for the spigot bearing there,sp1,s engine came from an auto

steve m - 28/10/03 at 09:41 PM

Conrod

Ive still got the crankshaft and I assure you, there is no hole for a spigot bearing,

shall i bring it up to walton bridge on sunday ???

steve

steve m - 28/10/03 at 09:43 PM

Conrod

our cars look cool at the jaunty angles

steve

Jayce Lane - 29/10/03 at 05:55 AM

hey Ned

Thanks for the offer on the pics, I would appreciate it. However you could always fly over to South Africa for a holiday and bring the propshaft over as hand luggage.

As mentioned the pics will be helpful as a spigot bearing sounds like some kind of vulgar langauge.

If I can find the hole for the spigot, then I will go ahead, otherwise I will get rid of the engine & gearbox. I wont lose any money on it!

Thanks guys

Cheers JAyce