Board logo

What do you think the power will be??
mikeb - 5/6/08 at 09:18 PM

2.0lt Zetec Silver top.
zx9r carbs with drilled jets.
decent exhaust.

Am I going to get thrashed by all the BEC girls?
I've nearly finished my chassis hence getting exicited abour running up the engine.

before all the BECs take the mick check the costs:
£100 engine
£45 megajolt
£15 edis
£100 inlet
£30 all my sierra running gear.

I'd love a BEC but I don't think I'd do it for that money!

Mike

hobbsy - 5/6/08 at 09:36 PM

Depends what it weighs when finished, if you can get it below 430Kg you might have a chance

skodaman - 5/6/08 at 09:44 PM

You might be fairly evenly matched on terms of bhp with most of the becs, though probably not the hayabusa ones. But don't forget Jap horses are smaller than everyone elses. So it's just the power to weight ratio where u'll lose out.
Anyway if u lose a race to a bec owner tell him u want another race, this time going backwards.

eccsmk - 5/6/08 at 09:56 PM

about twice the horse power with half the performance of us bec girls
only joking hope you get a good power figure

hobbsy - 5/6/08 at 10:29 PM

I've driven diesel van's with the same horsepower as my BEC but hey lets not worry too much about the power to weight ratio as it doesn't make that much difference if the horsepower is the same.... honest!

liam.mccaffrey - 5/6/08 at 10:35 PM

@ Skodaman

careful with advice like that I think a fireblade 7 holds the world record for reverse speed 117 or something, obviously with a reverse box

skodaman - 5/6/08 at 10:55 PM

Yeh but most don't have a reverse. Sheet 117 mph. The aerodynamics must be better going backwards.

zetec - 6/6/08 at 06:48 AM

Get the fuel and sparks right and 160 ish up to 170 if lucky.

Paul TigerB6 - 6/6/08 at 07:43 AM

As above, 160 -170bhp. As for going against a BEC - well lets just say my 173bhp Zetec Tiger wasnt a patch on a Fireblade Striker i went around Donnington in but still pretty damn fast compared to most other stuff on the roads. My Tiger was heavy mind but the BEC was just light years away in performance - converted me within a hundred yards to be honest.

Keep the weight as low as possible and fit a sequential box and you may narrow the gap a bit, but you'll still lose to a BEC. Cornering and braking are all affected by weight so you'll never get around a corner as fast as a well set up BEC

Now where's that bag of popcorn i had??

JimSpencer - 6/6/08 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Cornering and braking are all affected by weight so you'll never get around a corner as fast as a well set up BEC

Nah, not particuarly true..

First comes Talent, then the set up of the car, then Tyres, then weight, then power..
the BEC bit is a bit of a swerveball IMHO

Power is Power doesn't matter is a BEC delivers it or a CEC delivers it. There's loads of posts on here about that, mainly comparing a 70's crossflow with a 2006 GSXR or something equally relevant...
You'll have the same power as most other ENGINES that are likely to turn up.

Now the reason that striker was quick is that it weighs nowt, and was well driven..
My CEC striker (4age, Type 9, live axle) weighs 505kg's a BEC engined one could be as low as 400 ish.

However that's mainly because Strikers are very small and very light anyway

Build your car nice and light, have it properly set up, bolt the right tyres to it, and then book some instruction on your first track day - you'll keep up with most folk.

In our competetion classes we often have BEC's mixed with CEC, we generally find that unless somebody turns up with something like a PowerTec Suzuki (240+) or a full race baby Zetec (240+) then the rest of us with around 160 - 180 ish from all sort of engines are seperated by ability.. and the rest of the drivers excuse book

mikeb - 6/6/08 at 09:29 PM

Good response Jim,
Thats what I wanted to hear!

ChrisGamlin - 8/6/08 at 10:42 AM

£100 engine
£45 megajolt
£15 edis
£100 inlet
£30 all my sierra running gear.

So thats £300. You could have put in a CBR1000F BEC for that money

/runsaway

ChrisGamlin - 8/6/08 at 11:40 AM

Seriously though, having been on a lot of trackdays with BEC and CEC powered Locaterfields, under acceleration Id say a 170bhp Zetec car (with around 60-80kgs more to lug around) is pretty much on a par with an otherwise equivalent spec Blade (or CBR1000F) powered car.

A few years ago I was was at Cadwell on a trackday in my Blade Locost and for several laps I was following a Westfield race series car which have Zetecs of around 170bhp, and it was nigh on identical around a lap, so I think you'll be happy with the performance you've got.