Board logo

2.3 duratec?
FASTdan - 30/10/08 at 10:02 AM

Anyone had much to do with the 2.3 duratec as found in the mazda 6 etc? We are currently running a pinto but will eventually swap to a duratec and I can potentially get a 2.3 for a good price (£350 ish seems good?). Are there any major differences from 2.0 - 2.3? My supplier tells me not.

Duncan_P - 30/10/08 at 11:07 AM

I could be wrong but i think the 2.3 unit is just a stroked 2.0 unit. So should have no external differences.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to clarify

Yellowperilous - 30/10/08 at 12:39 PM

Shawspeed did a lot of work on the 2.3 duratec, may be worth a call to Jon.

Jenko - 30/10/08 at 04:53 PM

Yep, I also think it's just stroked (possibly Cylinder diameter a little bigger....But the engine dimensions are the same.....

You should see a good 200bhp (with TB's) as standard, and loads of torque.....plus, as they are all alloy, they are lighter than the zetec, VX, etc, etc....

Must admit, if I was putting a new engine in my car, I would try hunting down one of these...I reckon 300 is a steel....Grab it while you can.

Paul.

focijohn - 30/10/08 at 06:38 PM

I don't know much about them but a guy at my work just built a quantum with a 2.3 in. TB's and fast rd cams saw just under 220bhp( i think). I can vouch that its a very smooth, torquey unit and best thing is exhaust is drivers side and with the torque curve peaking at 7k..... no doubt that it will leave a smile on your face. IIRC he paid well over a grand altho it was a bran new engine.

John