Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC pros & cons
ross05

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
BEC pros & cons

Looking at buying a kit car aug / sept westfield or sylva.

what are the pros and cons re bike engine cars?

I like the idea of bike engine as I was a motorcycle instructor,but how well do they adapt in a car!

what should be avoided / what is the ideal setup ?

how does the bec compare with say a 1800zetec or cvh/pinto?

cheers Russell

scootz

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Russell.

I suggest you stick the kettle on and make yourself a mug of coffee... then search the forum using "CEC v BEC" or similar terms!

Loads of reading to be found as this debate comes up regularly!

It's Evolution Baby!

ali f27

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi bec great toy tear about trackday race etc pain in the arse long journey crusing etc Cec great long jouney more use if you want to do more miles
Zetec cheap good spares etc short on power duratec more expensive to make fit but can tune for real power way faster than any bec apart from busa turbo

ReMan

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Lightweight car - Lightweight engine

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ross05

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
bec power

cheers,

kettle on lets see what we can find!!!!!

thinking more for road use,sounds like bec a bit of a pain on the road (town driving) !!!

shame quite fancied a modern 4 wheeled bike.....

Russell

[Edited on 27/2/12 by ross05]

ali f27

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Not trying to put you off bec we have both just gearing and torque issuses etc sequential box is great fun you need to have a go in both before you decide someone on here will offer i am sure
ReMan

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Properly set up and geared there should be no issues with driving a BEC on the road everyday

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Stick to a Ford/Vauxhall/Car-Engined car. Car engines were designed for cars, you're looking at a car. Lots of torque, from a Chevy V8 (usually found in a Dax), to a smaller lump (normally found in Westfields, etc.). The old Pinto lump still represents the pinnacle of kit car powerplants. The engines themselves often come with nice bodywork around them as standard, with cup holders, heated seats and all sorts of essential stuff.

Bike engines produce very little torque, are unreliable. Nothing smaller than a Hayabusa is worth considering. There's no reverse as standard, just all far too much hassle really. I wouldn't use one.

ceebmoj

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Hi bec great toy tear about trackday race etc pain in the arse long journey crusing etc Cec great long jouney more use if you want to do more miles
Zetec cheap good spares etc short on power duratec more expensive to make fit but can tune for real power way faster than any bec apart from busa turbo

I have always been interested by this point of view. I have been using my BEC a lot including in traffic rush hour driving and have found nether the lack of torque or the clutch a problem. my longest motorway drive was 1 hour so maby I would notice it more with time.

welderman

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
BEC all the way for me, ive had 3 now builing my fourth. Done thousands of miles, track and road.

get intouch with Bob from spain, bobinspain is his user name, he might be close by to you, he has a BEC

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
There is only one thing that would swing me to a BEC - if I wanted a sequential change without spending £ks on a quaife or similar car gearbox.
All the other 'fors and againsts' can be offset and balanced out by various vaild arguments.

The Venom Project

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Stick to a Ford/Vauxhall/Car-Engined car. Car engines were designed for cars, you're looking at a car. Lots of torque, from a Chevy V8 (usually found in a Dax), to a smaller lump (normally found in Westfields, etc.). The old Pinto lump still represents the pinnacle of kit car powerplants. The engines themselves often come with nice bodywork around them as standard, with cup holders, heated seats and all sorts of essential stuff.

Bike engines produce very little torque, are unreliable. Nothing smaller than a Hayabusa is worth considering. There's no reverse as standard, just all far too much hassle really. I wouldn't use one.

You have to be kidding with reliability?

You won't go wrong with a Jap engine, I have owned 11 bikes, non ever let me down, done some serious miles on them, the power is awesome, you say no torque, what about a V-Twin engine?

You would find a Honda SP1 engine to have more than enough power for any Kit Car like a Westfield etc:

Bike engines produce more power for the money than a car engine, if you stick to R1, Fireblade, Busa, there are millions of them for parts. Carbs work much faster and smoother than a car, which is why a lot of people have a manifold made up to accept Bike Carbs.

Of course it all depends how you have it setup, but my TR1KE set running standard chain and sprockets will give more fun per mile than any car powered vehicle.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

ReMan

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Kidding or trolling

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ali f27

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
coudn,t put a sp1 in a westfield not enough carbon fibre on it
wylliezx9r

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

My car "only" has a 900, 150 bhp @ fly wheel, 510 kg wet weight. Near enough 300 bhp/tonne. This is the low end of BEC engines and it goes like stink. Torque is not an issue at all and the sequential box is brilliant flat out or just trotting around.

I would suggest trying both and making your own mind up.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why is it a few havent spotted the intended humor in this post.... lol

I mean just look at the 'building' section of his username!

fesycresy

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
or the comment,

The old Pinto lump still represents the pinnacle of kit car powerplants

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

scudderfish

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto, Hyabusa etc are all gutless rubbish!

Stick a V8 in it

Rod Ends

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
CEC

BEC

wylliezx9r

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Why is it a few havent spotted the intended humor in this post.... lol

I mean just look at the 'building' section of his username!

Oops missed the username. Must try harder !

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

ReMan

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I liked this bit ;D
"The engines themselves often come with nice bodywork around them as standard, with cup holders, heated seats and all sorts of essential stuff"

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Hellfire

posted on 27/2/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Copied & pasted from previous posts. As it is a definitive guide though, maybe we should get it made into a Sticky............

Lets deal with bike engines first.....

Pro’s

1 - Performance - Standard bike engine and gearbox = more bhp/kg than your standard car engine and gearbox (in most cases) which makes for awesome acceleration
2 - 13,000 rpm Soundtrack - Superb noise
3 - Advanced Technology. How many normally aspirated 1,200cc car engines do you know that produce 180 Bhp?
4 - Lightweight & compact = Easier to handle and no need for special lifting gear
5 - Mechanically, they are easier to maintain. Clutch changes etc
6 - Cheaper Vehicle Excise Duty (Tax, to you and me)
7 - Far cheaper import tax (In case you ever consider emigrating to somewhere like……… Cyprus)
8 - Smaller & easier to clean – therefore more environmentally friendly

Con’s

1 - Standard bike engine is likely to be more expensive than your standard car engine

I haven't included 'no reverse gear' because that can be both a 'Pro' and a 'Con'

Now onto car engines (apart from Honda S2000, which technically in my mind is made by Honda, so also a bike engine)

Pro's

Nope, can't think of any. I'm really struggling on this one..............

Con's

1 - Too heavy
2 - Too slow
3 - Too oily
4 - Unreliable
5 - It's a car engine

So there you have it...... A definitive guide to the pro's and con's of BEC & CEC.......

Now onto the 'red herring' that the CEC boys like to throw in regarding torque;

It is quite difficult to compare torque like for like in BEC v CEC. There is a common misconception that bike engines lack torque due to figures being quoted at the crank. But what you need to consider, is that bike engines have a torque multiplier in the form of a primary reduction gear. So in the real world, BEC torque actually isn't as low as it would first appear............

Phil

[Edited on 27-2-12 by Hellfire]

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Lets just unbias this a little and stick to (mainly) facts. (IMO!)

BECS
Pro’s

1 - Weight - light weight means more BHP/Tonne
2 - Lightweight & compact = Easier to handle and no need for special lifting gear
3 - Built on Sequential Gearbox.
4 - Cheaper Vehicle Excise Duty (Road tac) based on most bike engines being under 1549cc. (£130.00 where as anything over 1549cc is £215)
5 - Smaller /more compact - easier instalation into small engine bays (ie midi style car)

Con’s

1 - Bike engines are likely to be more expensive than a car engine
2- Gearboxes can be considered 'rough' or 'harsh' for slower driving.
3 - No reverse - New required for IVA, so you will need an expensive reverse gearbox, or a custom 'starter motor' based reverse set up.
4 - Lack of torque, despite any arguments its not the case, BECs do generlly have a lot less torque than CECs, and as BECs are intended to be used on sub 200kg bikes, sticking them im a 500kg kit can lead to needing to be in the right gear at the right time, everytime.
5 - (linked with above), Gear ratios can be harder to get 'right'.
6 - If aiming for a 'New registration' then using a 'reconditioned to as new ' bike engine/gearbox combo counts as 2 components, meaning you will need to use (or atleast provide evidence) that the engine is 'new'

Neutral These can be used as pros or cons depending on your preference
Noise - Bike engines sound great, but are also loud!

CECS
Pro's

1. Cheaper and easier to come by.
2. Higher levels of torque to suit the weight of a kit car.
3. Engines are seperate to gearboxes meaning an easier 'new registration' should that be your preference
4. 1 Donor build (ie 1 donor car, and kit car chassis/parts and you have all you need)

Con's

1 - Heavier than BECs

[Edited on 28/2/12 by loggyboy]

ross05

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
bec v cec

excellent info looks like a BEC for me or is it a CEC need to drive one when back in the uk

electric reverse is it any good ?

cheers chaps

Russell

[Edited on 27/2/12 by ross05]

Andy D

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you're intending to do trackdays, a big "con" with a BEC is noise. Circuits are getting tighter on noise limits all the time.

Anyway, here's a vid of my slow, heavy, unreliable... oily, granted! Pinto chasing a BEC round Teesside kart track. (With a queasy passenger on board)

BEC v Anchor

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.