Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC pros & cons
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/2/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add that bike engined cars are hopeless in the wet, that no torque and all-or-nothing thing again, hopeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEH1kn3HqE

The Venom Project

posted on 27/2/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is pretty useless in the wet, but I put that down to 1 wheel drive at the back

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

Custardpants

posted on 27/2/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a busa powered Indy, and it really is a matter of taste, the car is stunning but only if you drive it like a banzai mental asylum ninja escapee. Then the seq shift works beautifully and it all just comes alive and eats up a good driving road. In town or stuck behind a convoy of day dreaming holiday makers it is more awkward though, and less refined to drive slowly.
If you just want to go out and use the car in a legalish and slow way including occasional motorway trips, then the CEC is better. As the longest tunnel in the UK is only just down the road BEC was the only choice for me, in the tunnel it is glorious.

By the way - any BEC torque doubters are welcome to come out in my car. It pulls strong from low revs but if you're driving the car properly you're always in the right gear anyway!

eddie99

posted on 27/2/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I race a BEC and have a CEC Seven on the road... Personally if its for track then BEC, if its for short road journeys, maybe BEC otherwise its CEC for a road toy. However the 3rd car is a race CEC........

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hugh_

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Properly set up and geared there should be no issues with driving a BEC on the road everyday

I agree, the issues from using a BEC on the road aren't to do with problems for the car.

I had a Fury fireblade with aeroscreen, it was fantastic fun on the road for a fast jaunt, and great on the track. The performance even with a relatively modest 893, the occasion of the sequential box and clutchless shifts, it was a right hoot. However, it was never relaxing to drive in traffic or at any speed for long periods. The clunking that came from the gearbox/diff, particularly when selecting from N-1 always worried my mechanically sympathetic side, as did clutch life of moving a something much heavier than the bike it was from off the line meant I was always t gentle getting it going (despite having heavy duty clutch springs fitted).

I have since changed to a car engined locost also with aeroscreen, admitedly it isn't particularly standard so it's power delivery is not that disimilar to the bike engine in as much as you need to be 40% of the way through the rev range before it makes good power, and at 70% before it really sings. It is better to drive in traffic, and I dont worry about getting off the line swiftly. On a fast road drives or track it is a slightly different experience because of the gearbox, but fundamentally that is the only difference.

Regardless of whether you go for CEC of BEC these cars aren't great to travel any distance at speed, the wind noise at 75mph is the overwhelming noise whether its a CEC at 3.5k revs or a BEC at 7k revs. If you have a flat windscreen (eg. as fitted to all 7 type cars) instead of an aeroscreen the buffetting is just as bad unless you fit fullheight side screens which make them feel claustrophic and horrible IMHO.

If you are worried about the ability to do any motorway work personally I would go for one with a curved windscreen such as a Fury, Pheonix, Stylus, Mojo etc. and not worry about the engine type from that respect.

Hellfire

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just go for a spin in both and then decide which bike engine to fit

Phil

Proby

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Just go for a spin in both and then decide which bike engine to fit

Phil

I knew this was going to be another great divide!

As said, try both. I've had 2 BEC's previously and love 'em.

maccmike

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, bike engine every time. Iv got a zzr1100 in 350kg's. Parts are pretty cheap. Easy to work on. Sequential box, but no revrese on mine. The screaming revs! If Gordon Murray says power to weight is everything, who am I to argue. You want absolute minimum of a 900 or you'll have no torque.
coozer

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
You need one of these...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

welderman

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
You need one of these...

One of what. All I can see is pretty looking woman

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Davegtst

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is quite a simple question to answer.

Bec driver =

Cec driver =

ali f27

posted on 28/2/12 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi been looking on tinternet cannot find Holden bike engine
bobinspain

posted on 28/2/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Russell,

Jump on the trans-Med express and get yourself up to Las Fuentes and I'll take you out in my 'toy'. I echo everything that 95% of the posters say on here, (Custardpants (Luke) in particular, because he has the same car).

Motorcycle_mayhem's comments about cup-holders and heated seats are very important issues out here in Spain and should be taken seriously, (like driving in rain!------- What's that?)

ross05

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
bec power

cheers Bob,

how are you getting on with bike power,thought I would give you time to adjust!! no cup holder could be a problem

speak soon

cheers Russ

adithorp

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Lets just unbias this a little and stick to (mainly) facts. (IMO!)...

6 - If aiming for a 'New registration' then using a 'recondishoned to as new ' bike engine/gearbox combo counts as 2 components, meaning you will need to use (or atleast provide evidence) that the engine is 'new'

Well if we're sticking to "facts"...

Where do you get point six from?
My R1 engine/'box counted as one component and I got a new reg. There's plenty more out there. I asked DVLA in advance, stating that it was a single unit and their answer was "Can you use one bit without the other? If not then we'll count it as one". Think about it. If you use a front wheel drive engine and box in a middy, would that be three items? Engine , gearbox and diff'?

Then there's...

"can't tour/do more than an hour, in a BEC"...?
Well after 2x3000+mile tours to the Alps/Med and several 500mile days in mine; Yes you can. A seven isn't exactly a GT car whatever engine is in it but if you want seat of the pants motoring then yes it can be done... and it's great fun. To say you can't tour a BEC is the same as a Goldwing owner saying you can't tour on a sports bike.

BECs are unreliable...?
I'll refer you back to the last answer.

You can't drive in town/traffic...?
If it's set up well there's no reason why not. Been stuck in Genova city cantre in rush hour with heavy traffic, 90' temps and thousands of mopeds around with 2 other R1 cars and it was no less pleasnt than if it'd been zetecs.

Yes, BECs are raw. The transmission is a bit clunky at times but at others it's sweet. They're loud but then so are all 7s just different pitch) and at speed most of the noise you experience is wind buffeting so the same whatever powers the car.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

6 - If aiming for a 'New registration' then using a 'recondishoned to as new ' bike engine/gearbox combo counts as 2 components, meaning you will need to use (or atleast provide evidence) that the engine is 'new'

My R1 engine/'box counted as one component and I got a new reg. There's plenty more out there. I asked DVLA in advance, stating that it was a single unit and their answer was "Can you use one bit without the other? If not then we'll count it as one". Think about it. If you use a front wheel drive engine and box in a middy, would that be three items? Engine , gearbox and diff'?

Was your engine gearbox a recon or new?

Not sure about your other points as none were mentioned in my post, but were in the 'comedy' post prior to mine.

bobinspain

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Forgot to add that bike engined cars are hopeless in the wet, that no torque and all-or-nothing thing again, hopeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEH1kn3HqE

Utter madness! Easy on the tyres though. I bet visibility was around 30% of standard.
Not my idea of fun, (but then I was a 'fair-weather-golfer too).

ross05

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
bec power

well I am sold looks like bike power for me,the vids are great.

thankyou all for your comments

aug / sept we will be looking for BIKE POWER

cheers RUSSELL

adithorp

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Was your engine gearbox a recon or new?

Not sure about your other points as none were mentioned in my post, but were in the 'comedy' post prior to mine.

Eggine/box was my one "reconditioned as new" item

Yes wasn't refering to your post with the other bits and despite the "comedy" nature of the post, they are point's that get trotted out regularly.

I did the LeMans Classic with a car engined Fury owner as passenger and his verdict on suitability of touring a BEC... Just the same as his!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Eggine/box was my one "reconditioned as new" item

Yes wasn't refering to your post with the other bits and despite the "comedy" nature of the post, they are point's that get trotted out regularly.

I did the LeMans Classic with a car engined Fury owner as passenger and his verdict on suitability of touring a BEC... Just the same as his!

I guess its the usual DVLA lottery - I only mentioned that as Cloudy ended up with a Q plate after his recon box/gbox was classed as engine and gearbox, rather than the 1 recon'd part.

Pezza

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had a cec first off then when I decided to build my own I went for the bec for a change, love it

Oh and dvla can be hopeless.
I went for an age related plate, all receipts etc, agreed I would get age related (89)
But I had a private reg to go on as the first reg, that obviously confused them and I ended up with it being a 2011 new plate if I want to transfer it back again !
Not that i'm complaing mind, the local office was very helpfull and a pleasure to deal with.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.