Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Indy - poor performance
Lightning

posted on 25/5/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it. My blade did the same. It sounds like its not reaching high revs because its running lean. I had to rejet several sizes.
You will know when it runs well there will be big increase in performance. Rolling road job. Worth every penny

Steve

Paul G

posted on 25/5/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice fellas - I didnt realise it was such a common requirement to have to get it dynojetted, I'll have a look at the mixture screws first to see if this helps and if not try not to drive it till its dynojetted.

Does anyone know any links with more info about dynojetting? Is it something you can DIY or does it have to go somewhere like TTS?

Andy - re your suggestion, is it just a matter of swapping the jets over and drilling bigger holes in the new ones?

Cheers

Paul

ps anyone know anywhere closer to Staffordshire that could do it for me?

[Edited on 25/5/06 by Paul G]

andyharding

posted on 25/5/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
The mixture screws only affect it at idle as far as I'm aware. Raising the needles would riched it up throughout the range but not sure if you can do this.

Yes Paul, if we get some spare jets we can just drill them out and swap them over. Shouldn't take long. If the jets are cheap we could get a couple of set and keep drilling them bigger until it won't go any better then back off one size.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Paul G

posted on 25/5/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy that sounds like a plan! Might give you a bell once I've got my clutch cable fitted
jimgiblett

posted on 25/5/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can purchase the kit and have a go to get it in the general ball park. As per my suggestion of clip 3 and either 144 or 150 mains. But getting it done professionally on a rolling road is a much better solution.

Make sure that you get the correct Dynojet kit (TTS-4364). The TTS kit is approx £100 and IMHO not very good VFM as it comprises of 3 sets of jets a set of needles and some epoxy and some instructions in a plastic box. You can get the jets cheaper from somewhere like PDQ in Slough not sure about the needles but as they are official dynojet supplier maybe (or TTS may sell you just these).

- Jim

[Edited on 25/5/06 by jimgiblett]

andyharding

posted on 25/5/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, I've heard Weber jets will fit. It might be worth investigating as these are cheap/free and could be sourced quickly.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Ferrino

posted on 25/5/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone please confirm how many turns out the R1 carb mixture screws need to be?
zxrlocost

posted on 25/5/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
98-99 carb engine about two and a quarter
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

OX

posted on 25/5/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
that is the basic setting for most bike engines but its a little lean around 4 turns out would be better but theres no rule as not all the screws will be set to the same amount,start at 2 and a half turns out then one at a time wind the screw out untill the revs pick up once youv done all 4 start again and fine tune them ,the revs will pick up quite abit so keep lowering the revs to around 1100
Paul G

posted on 26/5/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for all the suggestions lads I'll have a tweak once the weather sorts itself out again! Chris (zxrlocost) kindly took me out for a blast in his motor last night and that was like a rocket - twice as fast as mine so at least I know there is a real problem there and its not in my head.
Pezza

posted on 26/5/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's not an import engine is it? A mate of mine got a cheap second hand engine to drop into his gixxer 750 frame, took us ages to figure out why it was so gutless.
Was from Japan I think and there was A throttle stop things on it to stop it opening all the way, totaly killed the power, was making about 80bhp when it should have been about 150.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Paul G

posted on 26/5/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I got it from MK and they said it came from Holland, so I'm not sure if it'd have this restriction on it but I'll take a look

Cheers

Paul

Winston Todge

posted on 26/5/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
The European R1 was restricted with inserts in the carbs... As shown on this build diary...

http://www.freewebs.com/mega-r1/april_part1.html

You'll have to click 'Skip this ad' at the top right of the freewebs page when it comes up to get to the proper page.

Again though, as everyone else is saying I would have thought it is majorly leaning out...

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul G

posted on 26/5/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ay up - just had a look and the butterfly valves open up fully by 90 degrees when the throttle is fully down so that looks ok.

The mixture screws were set at 3.5 to 4 turns out so when I get chance I'll block the holes off that rich showed me and give it another try. If I get no luck there I'll turn the mixture screws back to 2.5 turns and see how it runs then

cheers

Paul

Lightning

posted on 26/5/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the mixture screws are just for idle and make no difference at all to the general running. That will be by larger main jets.

Steve

G.Man

posted on 26/5/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yup you need larger main jets and different tapers on the metering needle..

But there is an airbleed that can be blocked i believe...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Paul G

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Well seems like the cocktail sticks work! Getting about 30% more power now goes up to 45 in first gear before hesitating and stuttering, obviously still needs a bit more tweaking but at least I'm making some good progress with it, it feels a load better already! Next step is hopefully getting the jetting sorted
Paul G

posted on 30/5/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Getting my mate to put some bigger jets in it and hes also going to reprofile the intakes a little since I dont have the trumpets - obviously this wont be as good as getting it properly set up on a rolling road but this geezer knows his stuff and has been working on bikes and fitting dynojet kits for a living for years so its got to make an improvement
kb58

posted on 30/5/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be blunt... but quit typing and have it tuned! No matter what you do to it you still need to get it tuned, so you're just wasting time. Make an appointment... now!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 30/5/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
he wants to, I want to on mine but theres no where within a few hours suitable unless anyone can tell us
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

G.Man

posted on 30/5/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Stoke on Trent/west midlands about 1-2 hours from northampton so you could try TTS...

zxrlocost

posted on 30/5/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
preciseley more like 2 hours

not exactly a good drive there either unless we doubled the time

IM still up for it though

richijenkin

posted on 30/5/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, What do I get for 1st prize then? Even though OX gave it me.
G.Man

posted on 30/5/06 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just get a dynojet kit and that will get you close...

They have settings for no standard airfilter and race can... start with those and adjust til it drives right...

Its not a difficult home job to be honest

MikeR

posted on 30/5/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
and its got to be better than driving it like it is now (for the engine)
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.