Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheaper Bushes???
procomp

posted on 29/11/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi 60 shore will be to soft. The bushes that most are using from them are 85-90 shore when last meashured.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 29/11/06 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that Wisbech was the place to go though? The email I got back defo said 60 shore.

Doesn't really matter I guess as I won't be buying from there anyway.

So if a harder compound is required, is Nylatron the stuff to use? The info I found indicates around 80-90 if I read their specs correctly.

Andy

Syd Bridge

posted on 29/11/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Nylatron..for all intents and purposes of this application , can be seen as solid, and actually is.

You can use it for the fronts,...IF you get the wishbone pivots lined up perfectly, otherwise they'll bind when moved.

For the rears you need a compliant bush. Polyurethane, soft, and compliant. Sources as above. Or if you can source the resin and hardeners, make a mould and do them yourself. You just have to remember that they need a vacuum to get all the bubbles out.

Best and overall cheapest and safest way is to buy a set of the SOFT (relatively)polyurethane bushes.

Cheers,
Syd.

andyd

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
So Nylatron isn't really compliant enough for a road car (with some track work)...

If I source polyurethane rod to turn my own, what hardness do you think would be good for both ends of the car?

Not sure I want to go to the trouble of making my own with moulds etc but turning some on a lathe to my exact dimensions appeals. That way I'm in total control of the sizes and don't have to contend with differing sizes of the various components.

Yes yes, I know I could buy the inner/outer sleeves and bushes from one place to ensure fitment but I'd like to make as many of the parts on my build as possible. I enjoy the extra challenge of it all!

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.