Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Sleeving
oliwb

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Sleeving

Guys, I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I need to modify an exhaust by cutting, rotating, extending and re-welding. The exhaust pipe has an O.D of 2.0" I'm just wondering if anyone sells metre lengths of pipe that would slip over this but be tight enough to allow me to weld the two together? I can get 2-1/4" from Demon Tweeks but this seems a bit big by the time I get the welding torch to it.....Otherwise does anyone know what would be a reasonable wall thickness for some normal mild steel pipe and I could try my local steel merchant......Cheers. Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.milneroffroad.com/PIPE.HTM

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

oliwb

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nope they are the same as Demon Tweeks - only sell 2" and 2-1/4" I need something that will just slide over 2" O.D pipe so that I can weld it. 2-1/4" would leave too much of a gap need something a bit tighter.....Oli.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just do a butt-join with 2" pipe? That's what would usually be done when fabricating an exhaust from component bends. You don't a nasty step then either.
oliwb

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I can't get into the pipe though once its welded to grind out the inside. I can't easily plug it and flush with Argon either. Its also going on a diesel not performance one so really not bothered about any steps.......Oli.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why would you need to grind out the inside? I've but welded exhaust pipes many times and even with full penetration the join isn't going to cause any noticeable restriction.
minitici

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Demon Tweeks sell a Jetex 2" double ended sleeve 100mm long. This slips over 2" od pipe and has slots both ends for pipe clamps. You can fully weld one end to the pipe to form a socket for the second pipe (or weld both ends).
Difficult to find in the online catalogue but is
Part number U065120 available as aluminised steel £3.08 or stainless £4.37.
Catalogue Link

[Edited on 17/11/08 by minitici]

v8kid

posted on 17/11/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Arvin supply 2m lengths to the trade in 2.125" od with a 1.2mm wall. Makes it a nice tight fit over 2" by the time you allow for the resistance seam weld

Try Partco they ordered it in for me a couple of years ago for less than a tenner

oliwb

posted on 19/11/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, will give partco a go and failing that I might try ordering some standard 2-1/4" and cutting the length of it with the plasma cutter. Perhaps when wrapped around it will allow me to weld it better.
Don't want to just butt weld it as I don't trust my welding that much I'm sure it would be fine but would rather just get a sleeve to go over it and then weld.....Cheers, Oli.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.