Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tiger car to tiger bike
tigertom

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
tiger car to tiger bike

hi everyone,does anybody know if a bike engine will fit in standard without any mods to a tiger supercat.i currently run on a pinto with twin 45's etc and if it was going to be a straight forward project i would like to change to a bike engine.i've got a budget on £1500.will this be enough to complete the install and get it running.if so r there any complete units with everything required for sale?

ps .it took a long time to get to this stage of the build,thats why i would rather buy a package if someone was upgrading,rather than getting bits here and there.

mookaloid

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well it definitely won't fit without any mods!

What mods don't you want to do?

You will have to make a cradle, get a different prop shaft, maybe weld a middle bearing mount to the chassis, make a gearchange, replace the wiring loom quite probably make a hole in the bonnet, sort out throttle and clutch cables get a new exhaust etc etc.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tul214

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,

Why do you want to go BEC? Not trying to start another BEC v CEC thread but if you have £1500 burning a hole in your pocket why don't you spend it making the car go better i.e. suspension, tyres, cam, tune up, corner weights etc....
The other problem is that the Cat is not the most svelte 7 out there and a bike engine may not give you the performance you are looking for......all IMHO

Good luck what ever you decide.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by tul214]

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

dave1888

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Someone has defo put a zx10/12 engine in one have a look on the tiger forum. The rear end is to heavy in my mind for a bike engine but it can be done.

oliwb

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Tom,

Why do you want to go BEC? Not trying to start another BEC v CEC thread but if you have £1500 burning a hole in your pocket why don't you spend it making the car go better i.e. suspension, tyres, cam, tune up, corner weights etc....
The other problem is that the Cat is not the most svelte 7 out there and a bike engine may not give you the performance you are looking for......all IMHO

Good luck what ever you decide.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by tul214]

Have to echo that sentiment. I've got a standard CAT and have changed the rear suspension to make it a lot lighter than it was. I know Chester put a bike engine in a CAT I think it was a ZX10 but could be wrong. I think you'll get good performance with the right bike engine, but it would need to be a modern powerfull one which is going to be expensive! If I had £1,500 and wanted more go easily I would think about a different car engine. If you've got it on the road then a Duratec would be a good bet (same side exhaust as pinto so you don't need to re-skin the side panel) or if you can't afford that the usual suspects of zetec, 4-age, k-series or vauxhall are all good bets with their own strengths and weaknesses.
As for corner weighting etc - yeah great idea but I would have thought you'll get more bangs for your buck by ditching the pinto.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Steve wrote a good little FAQ in the Engine forum on here.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=90943

Answers a lot of your questions!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.