Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project Management course recommendation
mads

posted on 30/12/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Project Management course recommendation

Afternoon all,
I'm looking at investing in getting a project management qualification so it'll boost my CV for future jobs, however I dont have the faintest idea on what courses are good and recognised and if there are any that I can do without working life experience i.e. textbook/exam based.

I have heard of one called PRINCE2 but know nothing about it. Is this the "gold standard" ?

any suggestions, recommendations or general advice would be highly appreciated

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Worzey

posted on 30/12/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - PRINCE2 is the one to go for. Most PM jobs ask for this these days.

The Foundation course us fairly easy - the Practioner slightly harder but not too bad.

Caterham R400

Flamez

posted on 30/12/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
PRINCE2; stand by to be bored to death, process process process.

my build mac1motorsports

Pdlewis

posted on 30/12/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the industry Price is very stuffy and very very restrictive and dull alot of current IT projects employ an agile approach this is alot looser without the process and forms of traditional methods and in my experience produces better results. because of this it requires a different skill set worth having a look at the agile aliance web site here

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

mads

posted on 30/12/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies all... keep them coming. as I said, I know nothing about what courses are available and what employers look for.

the type of jobs I will be applying for is IT project management in healthcare. It will involve managing projects from creating a business case, choosing the software through to implementation and training

[Edited on 30/12/09 by mads]

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

carpmart

posted on 30/12/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with other comments, all the PM's I know in the Telecom (Software) sector are either PRINCE2 qualified or nothing!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Rek

posted on 30/12/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did prince2 locally there was about two weeks of pre reading and learning by rote. then a week in a class with a PM from Nokia. After a couple of days we did the foundation then at the end of the week the practitioner. there was a lot of writing (well. more than Id done since school day's) so practise your penmanship!

oh and the company was called "core IS"

[Edited on 30/12/09 by Rek]

Pdlewis

posted on 30/12/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
if its healthcare then maybe PRINCE is bast as there are regulatory implications. I currently work in the Pharmaceutical sector and some aspecst of the business have to be PRINCE becuse of this but where ever possible we employ an agile approach

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Humbug

posted on 30/12/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but there is a lot of difference between going on a PM course and being a PM. A PRINCE2 course will teach you about their process and methodology but, as mentioned above, it's not the only one.

Then again, if it's public sector, you may have to have PRINCE2 if you want to even be considered.

Good luck whatever you go with

Simon

Good luck whatever you

Worzey

posted on 30/12/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
For Healthcare (well anything public sector) PRINCE2 is a must.

PRINCE2 was created by the Office of Government Commerce (OGC) in the UK for the UK public sector and has been adopted worldwide but mainly in the Commonwealth countries - it not used so widely in the US.

PRINCE2 is less restrictive and formal than other PM methodologies as you only apply the parts you need rather than the full approach.

BTW, I project managed (using PRINCE2) the content management system for production of the PRINCE2 Reference Manuals for OGC so I have first hand experience of how the methodology can be applied.

Caterham R400

mads

posted on 30/12/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
cheers all. Guess PRINCE2 it is then.

Rek - thanks for a bit more insight into how the course was structured for you.

Humbug - no offence taken. I agree, there is a big difference but having an extra qualification on my CV will help with my application. And tbh, I can probably get a job without it but it'll give me an extra edge over most other candidates who haven't done it (which I know is likely).

richmars

posted on 30/12/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't need PRINCE, have a look at the Open University module. It takes about 3 months (or it did when I did it) plus an exam at the end, but it's a good overall grounding in PM. (But not like doing it for real!)
MikeR

posted on 30/12/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mads chat to me at the next pub meet .....

I'm PRINCE2 practitioner qualified

Nash

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Public Sector do push PRINCE 2 and it will open doors for you. What you do when the door is opened is down to experience and your ability to manage complex situations.

After PRINCE 2 you can do MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) which is Programme Management obviously.

I have a number of Programme Managers reporting to me and all there PM's are PRINCE 2. There is a lot of difference in PM ability even though they all have the qualification.

Take it from me the Practictioner cert is not enough.

........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.