Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ? Odd problem.
MikeLR

posted on 3/1/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
? Odd problem.

My daughter has a Peugot 107, twice in the last few weeks she has driven to work
only to find it wont start at the end of the day.
It started with jump leads.The only thing I noticed that she had left the radio and
heater fan not switched off.Have told her to remember to switch everything off
I have checked the battery on a number of occasions since and it shows 12.5 volts.
Is it possible that the battery is being "drained" even though the ignition is off?
or does it need a new battery?
Thanks.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/1/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like cold weather and old battery syndrome... its possible theres a draw on the system, but it's worth checking the battery

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Get the battery tested, the symptoms fit a dead cell (also called a gassing cell) in the battery. However get the battery tested and check for current leakage particularly through the alternator before buying a battery.

The way to test for this is put a half decent charge into the battery, allow it to rest for at least a couple of hours then check the voltage when under a heavy load.

Battery tester normally subject the battery to about 200amps load for a short time under this load the battery should still show at least 9 volts accross the terminals.

If under the test load the voltage
(1) If it rapidly drops below 6.5 volts and stays below 6.5 volts it indicates the battery is junk.
(2) If it If it rapidly drops below 6.5 volts and then slowly rises to 8 volts volts it indicates the battery is junk.
(3) If it falls to 8 volts then slowly falls to 6 volts the battery could be healthy but needs charged.
(4) If it shows 9 volts or more battery is OK.

You can do a DIY version of this test by measuring the battery voltage during a cold start, normally expect to see 9 to 11 volts when cranking the engine durring a cold start.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tanya Batteries are probably the best people to buy a battery from they supply online with very quick delivery at a good price.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/batterygroups/5/002L-Car-Batteries-page1.html

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.