Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do about dangerous driver?
adithorp

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
What to do about dangerous driver?

A friend of a friend has in the last two years, written off two cars and had at least two more serious accidents. Prior to that there were several unexplined bumps. He's not a good driver to start with but there's lots of them out there but...

In the first accident he was driving down the M6 at 80+ when my friend realised that they were wandering towards a lorry on the inside lane. She looked over at him and he was slumped in the seat. With no reply when she screamed at him, she attempted to drive from the passenger seat, avoided the lorry but ended up spinning and going backwards along the centre armco. Nobody hurt but he woke up and said "Why are we stopped?". He was interviewed by the police while she was being checked over in an ambulance and then then allowed to go; Later he said he told the polie he sneezed and lost control . The car (Fiesta) was heavily damaged but repaired.
He then had a couple (that we know of) of incidents of collapsing at work and had lots of tests done at hospital, etc with nothing found wrong. Official verdict was low blood sugar and stress!?!
He then had an excursion up the embankment of the M67 (no damage apart from tracking) before later writing the car off in an unexplained (I just lost control) accident on the M67. To be fair the repair from the initial accident was poor and the car handled like a pig and wore out one rear tyre every couple of thousand miles.
He's now had another accident, hitting a van and writing off the replacement car (Audi A3) on the Woodhead pass which he refuses to disscuss.

Nothing seems to be happening to remove his licence. His GP can't act as the specilists say they can find nothing wrong. The police that I've spoken to (local traffic guy) say it's down to his doctor. Somehow he keeps getting insured...

Sooner or later he's going to kill someone (few would worry if it was him) and in my oppinion shouldn't be driving. He says it's not our business and he's the one taking any risk

So after all that, is there anything (legal and non-violent)I can do?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
The easiest, quickest solution in a non-confrontational way is to keep slashing his tyres.

I know that's not a positive response at all, but he does sound pretty dangerous mate!

steve m

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have to be related, as we had to get my Gran off the road, due a couple of small incidents
My Mother went to Nan's DR and got it sorted

It sounds as this guy has seizures, but i bet he never notifyed the DVLA, so in theory is illegal?

A note sent to the DVLA staing the facts ??

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
tbh don't know

Unless you try and convince this guy that he may end up in jail for killing someone. Sounds a very arrogant guy, is he young?

That girl who was in the car the first time he passed out, she should file a report with the police stating that he had passed out. Sounds a diabetic, I know a few folk with it and they can just drop to the deck or act very drunk.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
A note sent to the DVLA staing the facts ??

DVLA will want proof and probably a doctors note to impose any license restriction or to take the licenst away.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

A note sent to the DVLA stating the facts ??

Steve

Yeah sounds a plan, may start investigations. The DVLA do seem to take seizures very seriously. When I worked on the busses another driver passed out and crashed, didn't injure anyone but that was the end of his driving days and they never did find out exactly what caused it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
doubt he's diabetic, more likely to be narcolepsy?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001805

if he was diabetic, he wouldn't have come round so easily and been able to talk to police and ambulance like nothing happened. i know. unfortunately. not had a crash or anything myself though

sounds to me like he's in denial because he doesn't want to lose his license, i can't blame him for that, but yes he is dangerous

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
This seems ridiculous, a chap at work passed out without any warning when we went out for a curry (real slapstick moment, face straight into his Rogan Josh!) . He hadn't been drinking and it's never happened before but he was obviously quite worried so went to see a doctor ASAP. They couldn't find anything wrong, but told him it was their duty to inform the DVLA and he's now had his licence revoked! He has to remain symptom free for a certain length of time (1 year?) before the poor sod can get his licence back.
mcerd1

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
This seems ridiculous, a chap at work passed out without any warning when we went out for a curry (real slapstick moment, face straight into his Rogan Josh!) . He hadn't been drinking and it's never happened before but he was obviously quite worried so went to see a doctor ASAP. They couldn't find anything wrong, but told him it was their duty to inform the DVLA and he's now had his licence revoked! He has to remain symptom free for a certain length of time (1 year?) before the poor sod can get his licence back.

that sounds about right, my gran had more or less the same thing, I'm sure it was 12 months she had to wait

but it also sounds like this guy isn't telling his doctor everything

[Edited on 15/2/2011 by mcerd1]

-

mrwibble

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
doubt he's diabetic, more likely to be narcolepsy?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001805

if he was diabetic, he wouldn't have come round so easily and been able to talk to police and ambulance like nothing happened. i know. unfortunately. not had a crash or anything myself though

sounds to me like he's in denial because he doesn't want to lose his license, i can't blame him for that, but yes he is dangerous

diabetics have high blood sugar, only pass out from low blood sugar due to the problems in regulating insulin with medication.

i don't think there is much you can do except contact a member of his family/ or someone with influence over him.

vinny1275

posted on 15/2/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
He might have sleep apnoea - if he doesn't sleep well at night, he just can't keep awake during the day - can be treated tho...

MikeCapon

posted on 15/2/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Second for this ^^^^^ one. I have (had) sleep apnea and in extreme case people just fall asleep at any moment during the day. Once properly treated it's like living a new life. Worth considering.
Hammerhead

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
not read all the replies, but my mates wife had a seizure at home, and had her license taken away immediately by doctors orders. She only collapsed once and was not driving. Took a year of no seizures before she got the license back.

I think the GP is negligent if he does not intervene. Write to his quack!

HowardB

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
as above, a mate was hit by a driver, open road, clear visibility and no attempt to stop. The police immediately notified the DVLA as there was a question as to the drivers fitness to drive,....

simple as,....

perhaps it has to happen straight after the accident,...

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Yazza54

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
If he is denying he has a problem then he is a cock and seriously needs forcing to get looked at properly. You hit the nail on the head with 'sooner or later he's going to kill someone'... If he thinks he's the only one at risk he needs his head checking (after checking why he keeps falling asleep).

Let's face it, the chances are very slim... but it could be you, me or a loved one that encounters him next. God forbid.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

adithorp

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with the doctor is that he denies it's still happening and the earlier tests showed no problem (so it was just a one off).

I'm thinking that the recent accident must be subject to an investigation by the police and if I can find out which side of Woodhead it happend on (different forces) I might be able to "volenteer" some info.

...and yes, the guy is a prize c**k!

eznfrank

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ring the Insurance Fraud Bureau Cheatline LINKY, if he's falsely declaring the reason for accidents and not informing the docs/DVLA as he is obliged to then it may be deemed insurance fraud as he technically has the policy by deception and is potentially providing false info when reporting the claims. They have good contacts with DVLA, Insurers and police so may be able to do something.

[Edited on 15/2/11 by eznfrank]

adithorp

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Ring the Insurance Fraud Bureau Cheatline LINKY, if he's falsely declaring the reason for accidents and not informing the docs/DVLA as he is obliged to then it may be deemed insurance fraud as he technically has the policy by deception and is potentially providing false info when reporting the claims. They have good contacts with DVLA, Insurers and police so may be able to do something.

Perfect!

I had thought of informing his insurers but don't know who they are. Not only is he missreporting the accidents but he's failing to disclose relevant medical/health matters.

T66

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like he may have a medical condition....

On a similar theme, a good friend of my in-laws (Age 78) was well known to clip car mirrors when driving, he then mixed that with collapsing once every few weeks while having a pint. While refusing to accept something was up and going to the docs.

Now my in-laws confided in me and told me the tale, I told them he should be told to stop driving and they should tell him asap.

The in-laws were too embarrassed to say anything as they thought it wasnt there business, more tales emerged of mirrors and cars getting clattered. So I told them unless they told him, I would !

I tried to put it to them in such a way , that maybe he killed a child. They point blank refused to speak to him and told me I couldnt speak to him either.

Infact it got quite heated ! I have been a cop a long time and seen lots of crash damaged people, lots of them dead including those who drive with medical conditions and did nothing about them. The guy had a stroke about 2 months after this and stopped driving.

The time has come for you to confront him/her and tell them how it is ! If they dont take any notice, could I suggest you speak with your local Traffic Cop for some advice, this isnt grassing him up, this is common sense prevailing.

Far better your mate doesnt kill himself, or worse still kill his passenger and maybe another motorist.

There was one in my area last year, elderly guy with his Mrs and two grand children in the car, took a turn at the wheel and drove at speed under the rear of a parked HGV, all occupants were tragically killed.

Time to confront your friend , he might like what you have to tell him.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank

looks like the way forward as looking through the pages you don't have to give your details and there's plenty of room to put a full description

It may sound like your getting him into trouble but he is more dangerous behind the wheel than a drunk and it is only a matter of time before innocent people get killed just cause this guy is too selfish and self-centered to give up his license even though it sounds like he knows full well he should.

Minicooper

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I worked with a guy who knows he has narcolepsy, he does the same makes up reasonable excuses for his accidents

Cheers
David

adithorp

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
It sounds like he may have a medical condition....

The time has come for you to confront him/her and tell them how it is ! If they dont take any notice, could I suggest you speak with your local Traffic Cop for some advice, this isnt grassing him up, this is common sense prevailing.

Far better your mate doesnt kill himself, or worse still kill his passenger and maybe another motorist.

Time to confront your friend , he might like what you have to tell him.

No doubt he has a medical condition (in addition to being a c**k) in my opinion. Doctors have done tests for epilepsy, diabetese and narcolepsy. All these were done because of collapsing at work in front of witnesses and all came back negative.

I've already confronted him about it, as has my friend, but he denies that there's anything wrong anymore and it isn't the cause of the accidents... Neither of us will get in the car with him. Personally I couldn't care less if he did think I'd grassed him up.

Oh, and just in case you haven't figured it out... He's not my mate. Can't stand the bloke. In fact several of my other friends are also aquaintaces of his and none of them like him either. Once we know a way of dropping him in it, there'll be a que!

JoelP

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
i know you asked for legal solutions, but removing his sump plug one night might do the trick!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i know you asked for legal solutions, but removing his sump plug one night might do the trick!

always remove plug then wedge in a candle. wont leak any oil til it warms up and is turning nice and fast.

morcus

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Give him an ultimatum, tell him he can sort this out and stop driving until it's certain he's no longer a danger or your going to report him and he'll end up in alot of trouble. If theres lots of you who know, all do it together like an intervention and if he won't agree to it all of you should report it. I'm no expert on the law but you might be breaking it by not reporting these kinds of things.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.