Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Orange network problems
Davegtst

posted on 20/8/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Orange network problems

Anyone on Orange have problems? I recently got a contract with orange and keep having problems where my phone doesn't ring at all but goes straight to answerphone. If they ring back straight away most of the time they get through. A couple of people i know have the same problems but Orange deny all knowledge of the fault. Anyone know a cure?
carlknight1982

posted on 20/8/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I do work for orange I rang the Network Management Center and they say there is an upgrade program currently going on with the 3G network in Herts, could be a blow by of that. not that they would ever admit it to a customer

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Andybarbet

posted on 20/8/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been with orange for a few years & have this problem a lot when im at home, its been happening to me for well over a year now but quite randomly.

Would be interesting to see if it improves with the said upgrade though.

dave

posted on 20/8/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Our entire company changed to Orange a month ago (1500 units) and we are having major problems with coverage.

dave

posted on 20/8/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Anyone on Orange have problems? I recently got a contract with orange and keep having problems where my phone doesn't ring at all but goes straight to answerphone. If they ring back straight away most of the time they get through. A couple of people i know have the same problems but Orange deny all knowledge of the fault. Anyone know a cure?

This is known in our company as being Tango'd

davestarck

posted on 20/8/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have been with Orange from day one and they used to be very good. Not now I have had the same problem with the phone not ringing and getting a text to say I have a missed call or answer phone message, look at the phone and I have a signal!! I am due an upgrade now but was told I need to pay an upgrade fee, no chance so I may well go elseware.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 20/8/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Remember there is a finite capacity on mobile networks. It is possible for a cell to be saturated with calls at a given time.

This generally show as a good signal strength but you may see emergency calls only.

This will be transient, and could explain the symptoms.

You should also be able to roam to the T-Mobile network in the uk for no charge, so you should get better coverage... Oh well...

Davegtst

posted on 20/8/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is I get this problem everywhere. I drive around the whole south east for my job and encounter it everywhere. I even had it at midnight last monday right next to heathrow airport so its not just a herts thing.
Fozzie

posted on 20/8/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Orange used to be really good .... not now where I live, which is about 5 miles as the crow flies, south east of T4 Heathrow.

I have got roaming T-Mobile on it and yes it's a little better..but not very good at all .... I have had text messages delivered about 2 days after they had been sent before now......

It's a good job I rarely use it.......and prefer the 'landline' ....

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

lewis

posted on 20/8/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the same for me also have good reception + 3G and loose it all for a second then it comes back also calls dropped have to dial a few times to get through,also coming to the end of my contract so will prob change networks
mookaloid

posted on 20/8/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
The answer to missing calls like this is to change the phone setting from 3G to 2G or GSM only.

The problem seems to be one of auto negotiation between the 2 settings and it's probably the 3G network being congested causing the phone to constantly change connection between GSM and 3G and missing the calls.

Ok GSM only means that data won't work on the phone so much but at least you get the calls.

I can now swap mine between the 2 settings very quickly when I need data but I only miss calls when I'm not on GSM only.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mooky

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

snakebelly

posted on 20/8/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
have also noticed this, 3g also semms to drop out far more often, surely if they now have t-mobiles coverage it should get better not worse. I have a business contract with 5 handsets, will almost definately be moving on the next contract renewal unless things improve, unfortunately we still have 18 months to run so stuck with it for now. I have spoken to orange about this but as usual they deny any issues, this thread more or less proves there is an issue they are either incompetant or liars.
Davegtst

posted on 20/8/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
The answer to missing calls like this is to change the phone setting from 3G to 2G or GSM only.

The problem seems to be one of auto negotiation between the 2 settings and it's probably the 3G network being congested causing the phone to constantly change connection between GSM and 3G and missing the calls.

Ok GSM only means that data won't work on the phone so much but at least you get the calls.

I can now swap mine between the 2 settings very quickly when I need data but I only miss calls when I'm not on GSM only.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mooky

So if i get an app that switches 3g on and off this should stop it when 3g is turned off?

mookaloid

posted on 20/8/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mooky

So if i get an app that switches 3g on and off this should stop it when 3g is turned off?

Don't know about an app - it's just one of the settings on all the phones I have, but yes if you turn 3g off it should stop you missing calls which go straight through to voice mail even when you seem to have a signal

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Ninehigh

posted on 20/8/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah this is what the guy at Orange said to me this week too, plus the phone uses a lot of power trying to find and keep a 3g signal.

Davegtst

posted on 20/8/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just found I don't need an app, I can do it easily on the galaxy s2. Ill leave it of for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.