Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine change - legality's ?
Iaing

posted on 28/10/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Engine change - legality's ?

Hey folks, my MK is going in to have an engine swap an the end of November.

What will be required to make the car road legal again? Will it need a new MOT? Its registered on a Q plate, not sure if this makes a difference to anything.

Cheers

Iain

Proby

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure all you need to do is inform the DVLA of any change in cc capacity, and inform your insurance company of your changes (premium may increase if your upping power). That's pretty much it legally, I'm sure someone else will say if I'm wrong!
adithorp

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just need to inform DVLAto change the V5 to new capacity and engine number.They might want some formof proof particularly if switching means a lower tax class.
makes no difference to your emmision requirements at MOT.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RichardK

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Dvla may want a letter from the garage that did the swap too,I thought they only wanted if going down in size due to the different tax bracket but they wanted one from me too even going from 1.6 unto 2l,word or photoshop is your friend here

Cheers rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Dvla may want a letter from the garage that did the swap too...

That's what they wanted the last time I did it... just a letter from a garage confirming the engine has been changed and stating the capacity / new engine number.

It's Evolution Baby!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
This is the situation:

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

•a receipt for the replacement engine
•written evidence from the manufacturer
•an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
•written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the

I recently changed from Pinto to Duratec and just got a letter from Ford's technical department which confirmed when the engine was built, the cc, the engine number and the type of engine.

I then sent this off with the V5 and a covering letter and all came back changed OK.

[Edited on 28/10/11 by Tiger Super Six]

Mark

Tiger Avon

tomgregory2000

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
When i changed my engine in the kit from red top to sr20det, all i did was fill in the new engine number on the v5c, sent 4 photos showing the old engine in the car and engine number and the new engine in the car and new engine number AND signed the v5c!!!! thats the important bit!!

And had no problems

Iaing

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent, sounds very straight forward.

At a guess the car will be going down a tax class, it'll be from a 1.8 k series to 1.3 (hayabusa)

Thanks

Iain

Tiger Super Six

posted on 28/10/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
When i changed my engine in the kit from red top to sr20det, all i did was fill in the new engine number on the v5c, sent 4 photos showing the old engine in the car and engine number and the new engine in the car and new engine number AND signed the v5c!!!! thats the important bit!!

And had no problems

But how long ago was that?

I did a Zetec change in about 2006/07 and simply sent the V5 off with the new number advised in a covering letter and it was amended. It has changed in recent years as per my above post which is what the DVLA now ask for.

Not saying your's isn't recent, but that's not what they say that they will accept on their website?

Mark

Tiger Avon

tomgregory2000

posted on 28/10/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000

And had no problems

But how long ago was that?

I did a Zetec change in about 2006/07 and simply sent the V5 off with the new number advised in a covering letter and it was amended. It has changed in recent years as per my above post which is what the DVLA now ask for.

Not saying your's isn't recent, but that's not what they say that they will accept on their website?

March this year

mad4x4

posted on 28/10/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've changed from Petrol to Diesel and went from 3.5l to 2.5(turbo) L in my landy all I did was fill in V5 and maybe a covering letter

Then MOT when next due.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

rodgling

posted on 28/10/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I just sent the DVLA a receipt for the engine and pics of the installation (with a close up showing the engine number), along with the V5. They were happy with this.
rodgling

posted on 28/10/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously inform your insurer too, they'll want a chance to squeeze some more money out of you.
bartonp

posted on 28/10/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
The requirements were relaxed a bit recently - go with what they now say on their website.
TimEllershaw

posted on 28/10/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't have any problems with mine last year. Just sent the V5 back with new number and capacity filled in, and a quick letter saying it had changed to 2.0L zetec.

Don't think they are too bothered if it is a Q plate, or if it doesn't change your tax rate.

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 28/10/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
Don't think they are too bothered if it is a Q plate, or if it doesn't change your tax rate.

I think the emissions regs drive the requirement. My SR20 into my 1967 Alfa was straight forward as it is pre 1973.

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.