Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 engine differences 2004-6 cf. 2007-8
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/12/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
R1 engine differences 2004-6 cf. 2007-8

Can somebody please shed some light on the Yamaha R1 engine, of which my knowledge is limited to Wikipedia and the various model histories. I have acquired a chassis with a 2006 engine (the last of the 20-valve series). It's not in a great state of health, but runs 'OK', having withstood some serious abuse.

Someone out there must have replaced one of these units with the 2007-8 models, a more conventional 16-valve unit (with some entertaining inlet trumpets). Are the 2007-8 units physically similar to the 2004-6 units, i.e. do I have to contemplate engine-mount relocation and/or differential/sprocket relocation to fit (it's a md-engine chain drive set-up) - does it go straight in????

Apparently all is well:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=96372

But it'd be reassuring to hear from others.

If it doesn't fit without hassle, then I'll probably try something else KawaSuki.

I guess if AB is reading this, he could possibly tempt me with something from Mr Honda for future reference. The injector/airbox height isn't an issue with this thing (unlike some others).

wee beastie

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had an '07 R1 engine to put in my Global, but ended up selling it, as there were running issues unique to the Global race cars:-(

The information I was able to ascertain was the '07 block is a 5VY (not 100% sure if this applies to the '08), the same as the 04-06 engine, but the head is 16v, marked 4c8. So with that in mind, the theory is that certainly an 07 should the same as an 04-06, as the mounts would be the same (unless anyone knows different).

Hope this is of some help

Ian

They aren't cars, they are incline assault vehicles!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.