Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hybrid Driveshaft Gen
loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hybrid Driveshaft Gen

I have a drum set up, and Im keen to keep this as I will be autosolo/testing the car so a good handbrake is essential.
Now the issue is, to dismantle the push in shafts you need to hacksaw the outer can off, and then once its off some parts are hard (or impossible) to get replacements for and I dont really want to spend £180 on a pair of new (recon?) driveshafts from ebay, that still need to be hacksaw dismantled and sent off to be shortened, then spend another £30 on new 'cans'. Then, if I ever need to replace them It would be equally complicated/expsensive.
It seems bolt on shafts are more common (down to popularity i guess).

Now from what I can gather, NON lsd stub shafts will fit any normal 7" diff - yes?

I assume all bolt on shafts came with Discs? Or were some drums?

If the former, will the outer stub axle suit the drum hubs/bearings?

If not, what do I need to get them to fit?

MkIndy7

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Not and direct answer to your questions unfortunately but i'm sure we've carefully removed the cans on ours before and made a former to peen the ends over again afterwards.
MikeR

posted on 28/2/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I detailed the removal of my cans on here a while ago (probably a year or two). You should be able to re-weld the cans if you cut a thin enough slit and i've heard of it being done before.
loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its not the cans im really that worried out (They are only £5+VAT something from ford), its the small plastic bush that is damaged on one of mine that I cant get from ford, coupled with a new spider being over £150 (in case they go wrong in the future).

[Edited on 28/2/12 by loggyboy]

Pezza

posted on 28/2/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my tripod joints to bolt on types to mate up with my LSD but keep the drums, was a straight swap for me.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
I changed my tripod joints to bolt on types to mate up with my LSD but keep the drums, was a straight swap for me.

What outer cv did you use? the standard bolt on?

Pezza

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
yup standard.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
yup standard.

And they mated with the drum hubs ok?, I have heard of people using disc hubs and cutting off the caliper bracket.

If so thats super news!Cheers!

Pezza

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Aye drum hubs on my MK, just changed the inners to CV types and poppes some new boots on.
I have heard though that some tripod shafts are thinner than the bolt on jobbies.
Guess I got lucky, the cv's just slipped on and a circlip later were all good to go
Didn't fancy changing the whole rear setup to disk at the time.

*edit*
sorry just read your reply properly.
I kept the tripod joint on the outer, it was just the inners I changed to give me a hybrid shaft.

[Edited on 29-2-12 by Pezza]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.