Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake indicator not working
aka Keith

posted on 2/6/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
handbrake indicator not working

jumped in the car today and noticed that the indicator light for the use of the handbrake did not appear to be working. As the same indicator is used as brake fliud warning lamp, whipped of the top of the brake fluid and the light came on , so it is not the bulb.

then I took the top of the transmission tunnel to get access to the handbrake, and I can see a single spade connector attached to a micro swtich on the handbrake, which is depressed when the handbrake is not on, and is released when you pull on the handbrake.

This single spade connector is then wired into the main loom in the tranny tunnel.

my thinking so far is now, either the micro switch itself is fubard, or the wire is fubarred somewhere in the loom..

As I know more about quantum mechanics that I do automotive electrics (and I know very little about quantum mechanics) and I have no idea as to how the switch/wiring works, any good tips for finding the fault here?

cheers
Craig

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/6/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
connect the spade connector to an earth on the car if it lights up its a faulty switch if not its a wiring loom fault
aka Keith

posted on 2/6/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Ian, I have just run out to the car. put a earth on the spade connetor and the bulb lights up, so looks like it is a swtich fault. can they simply be replaced, looks like it is part of the handbrake mechanism?

cheers
Craig

twybrow

posted on 3/6/13 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to buy a new microswitch and replace it, even it it needs a new bracket making up to mount it. Try to take the old one out,and either post a picture on here, or search on ebay for a replacement.... There are a few different types, so you need to buy one that works in the same way.
aka Keith

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I nipped out this morning, on the way to work, and it looks like the switch is revited into position. Will try and take some photo's tonight to see what the collective think.

Cheers
Craig

scudderfish

posted on 3/6/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
The switch is only to test if the low fluid light is working. If you can't change the switch, just put a momentary push button on the dash for MOT time.
aka Keith

posted on 4/6/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the posts gents.

I took out the handbrake last night and removed the switch, gave all the contacts a good clean and assembled it all back together. It looks initially like the switch still works, but there is a bad earth between handbrake and chassis.

So some more investigation, breakdown, cleaning and re-assembly ahead, to see if it I can get it working again without having to purchase a new switch.

will let you know how I get on.

cheers
Craig

aka Keith

posted on 5/6/13 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
on investigation last night, the switch continued to have a bad earth, so broke the switch down into is components, taking out all the metal bits, springs, connectors, etc gave all the metals a clean and sprayed with protective fluid, assembled the switch and put it all back together again, - bingo the handbrake switch works - in the true cost of locost - saved myself £20 in buying a new micro switch

Cheers
Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.