Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo bike engine cylinder head bolts
dave_424

posted on 23/2/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo bike engine cylinder head bolts

Hi guys, trying to sort out the parts for me to go ahead and turn up the boost on my turbo ZX9 engine. Currently running 6-7psi on a completely stock engine and want to go to 15psi. I've got a set of standard compression forged pistons for better strength and a base spacer to lower compression from 11.5:1 to around 9-10:1

What I don't know about is the cylinder head bolts, I could re-use the standard ones, however I would have thought it would be a better idea to upgrade them? A set of studs and nuts runs around the £150 mark and seems a bit pricey, so I was thinking of using 12.9 grade bolts torqued to the right values for that bolt. This would be a much cheaper option being around a couple of pounds per bolt.

All help appreciated

Dave

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 23/2/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
ARP bolts are the normal route if looking for an upgrade
obr_technology

posted on 7/5/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

What did you go for in the end bolt wise?

I've been looking at bolts for me zx9 and it would appear that the ARP bolts are rated to a tensile strength of 200,000 psi whereas 12.9 converts to around 176,000 psi.

I am still tempted to give it a go, as clearly the ARP bolts are suitable for really high boost/cylinder pressure applications but only on my own engine.

Before I'm shot down in flames I must say that if it was a customer job I'd just go for the £150 ARP bolts for peace of mind!

Cheers

Olly

quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Hi guys, trying to sort out the parts for me to go ahead and turn up the boost on my turbo ZX9 engine. Currently running 6-7psi on a completely stock engine and want to go to 15psi. I've got a set of standard compression forged pistons for better strength and a base spacer to lower compression from 11.5:1 to around 9-10:1

What I don't know about is the cylinder head bolts, I could re-use the standard ones, however I would have thought it would be a better idea to upgrade them? A set of studs and nuts runs around the £150 mark and seems a bit pricey, so I was thinking of using 12.9 grade bolts torqued to the right values for that bolt. This would be a much cheaper option being around a couple of pounds per bolt.

All help appreciated

Dave

dave_424

posted on 7/5/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Olly, I have just finished my Uni exams so now have a load of spare time to do do this. Picking up my bored cylinders in the next few days hopefully

I saw that BigCC racing have what look like just regular 12.9 allen head bolts here http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/product.asp?idproduct=309

I sent them an email saying that I didn't really what to pay for ARP head studs since I can get grade 12.9 bolts for a couple of quid each. They sent a reply saying that I should just go with a 12.9 allen head bolt, making sure I have a washer between the head and the head of the bolt (I was thinking of taking the ones off the original bolts) and I would be good.

They also said to check if they are 11mm or 10mm threads but from the parts diagram on cornwall kawasaki they are listed as "cylinder head bolts 165x10" which I am guessing as 165mm long and 10mm thread. But I am unsure of thread pitch.

If I can verify thread pitch then I will be buying the bolts ASAP.

Dave

obr_technology

posted on 7/5/14 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Dave, I'm glad that somebody else is doing this as it seems a great way to go.

If I remember correctly the head bolts are a an M8 x 1.0 thread. I know as soon as I tried to look for the 12.9 bolts I could only find them listed as M8 Fine thread, but pretty sure it's the correct one.

I've been giving the turbo conversion some real thought since you gave me the advice on throttle bodies and really want to go for it as soon as I'm happy with my engine.

Out of interest which course were you studying?

dave_424

posted on 8/5/14 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'll pull my valve cover and take one of the studs to find out the thread and overall length and then get some bolts ordered. Will do a full write up here including parts from my turbo install etc.

End of the first year of Motorsport engineering, still a ways to go yet.

Dave

obr_technology

posted on 8/5/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'd love to see it all.

I'm sure this experience gained on your own projects will be a great help to your course. Which Uni are you studying at?

dave_424

posted on 8/5/14 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Studying at Bristol UWE, but the most accredited university but certain circumstanced meant that was where I was going to study. Incidentally we actually have a very good engineering department with good resources and some very good employer links.

What kind of power goals are you looking for?

obr_technology

posted on 8/5/14 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Fair play, UWE's engineering facility is pretty good from what I hear but it's always had the problem of the money that gets pumped into Bristol uni's engineering department!

I only live down in Weston Super Mare and think Bristol would be a brilliant place to be a student.

I'm developing a zx9 v8, so hoping for around 300hp at standard compression and around 500hp with the twin turbo set up. I've had the crankcase machined but all the other components are still in Solidworks!

dave_424

posted on 8/5/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Nice, sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm currently running 181bhp on a td04-13t turbo at 6-7psi on all standard engine internals. Dropping compression to 9 or 10:1 from 11.5:1 with forged pistons and a 1mm over bore bringing me to 923cc. Hoping to run 1 bar/ 15 psi and see 220-230bhp.

obr_technology

posted on 8/5/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yeah should be fun once it's finished but not anticipating that being for a while yet.

It's good to know what the engine is capable of in standard trim and I'm keen to see what you can get out of it once forged pistons are used. I remember seeing that big CC where quoting around 450hp for their top spec zx9, which I'm sure would be pretty fragile but bloody awesome!

I think when we spoke before you mentioned that you were using a megasquirt, how did you get on with the build/mapping of it? Was it easy to do?

dave_424

posted on 8/5/14 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the megasquirt 2 from a local guy off gumtree, I was ready to put in an order with DIYautotune for a self assembly one but found this guy on gumtree which was a DIYautotune one already assembled for the same price so went with that one.

I had to add a second BIP373 for the two spark outputs for wasted spark 4 cylinder.

Used a ford coilpack for wasted spark, the stock ignitors are CDI ones and won't work with megasquirt so I went with a simple ford coilpack with well known dwell times and other settings.

Crank position sensor wired straight in after installing a crank wheel from a Z1000 which gave me 24-2 teeth. Cam sensor not being used

Coolant temp sensor wired straight in, got the two temperature and resistance values from the service manual so calibrate it.

Injectors that came with the throttle bodies wired straight in, same with the TPS.

Fuel pump I used a Bosch 044 copy which is 600+bhp capable but can never have too much fuel. It should also help if I find that I need to run 4bar fuel pressure to get more flow from my injectors.

That's about it really for the setup, with all the information entered onto the ECU and a rough map made it started right up.

Then I took it to BaileyPerformance who did an excellent job mapping it for a very good price.

That can be read in my other thread here.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=184992

obr_technology

posted on 9/5/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that's really helpfull.

I look forward to seeing the results of the high boost build.

james h

posted on 9/5/14 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Another motorsport engineering student on locostbuilders! Brilliant I'm thinking of turboing my carbed R1 too. Winter project I think though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.