Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a ball joint
peter030371

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting a ball joint

OK am I missing some clever trick.....

I managed to borrow a 42mm deep socket and have fitted my ball joints to my modified sierra front uprights on the Striker. Next stage is to bolt these to the bottom wishbone and then the top rocker arm. How do i stop the ball joint from spinning around as i put the lock nut on?

I have tried squeezing the rocker onto the ball joint with a large g-clamp so the taper gets a chance to 'bite' but still just as the nut starts to tighten the ball joint just spins around and around

Managed to get 2 of the four done but the last two are driving me up the wall

So whats the trick I am missing?

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
I have tried squeezing the rocker onto the ball joint with a large g-clamp so the taper gets a chance to 'bite' but still just as the nut starts to tighten the ball joint just spins around and around

So whats the trick I am missing?

It happens sometimes.

Pressing the jont into the tapper is the usual method but occationally isn't enough. Either an air gun will have enough impetus to do it. Alternativly screw your "new" locknut onto a bolt first to cut a thread in the nylon and then try on the joint... or take one of your other joint nuts off and screw your "new" locknut down onto that one and use the "used" one on your new/loose joint. Having already been on once it should screw on easier but it'll still be OK to lock it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

peter030371

posted on 1/5/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried all that and one is still spinning

I got a normal nut of the correct thread to try and pull the taper up tight first......now I can't get that nut off as the joint is just spinning

Why is it the simple things like fitting 4 nuts takes several hours of faffing about

Any other suggestion before I give up for the day and do something else instead (like sit in the corner crying )?

Davedew

posted on 1/5/14 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used a small ratchet strap around the top and bottom wishbones to pull the joints into the upright. Surprising how much force you can apply to the joints with even a small strap.

posted on 1/5/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what it is exactpy, but could you slit the top of the thread and use a screwdriver to stop the taper bit turning? Think I just used an air gun thing last time
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/5/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I wound on a plan nut to seat the joint before putting the nylock on

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

peter030371

posted on 1/5/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of good suggestions

I will try the ratchet strap first....as soon as I have found my ratchet straps and then the slit top is the last resort.

Why don't they make these with an Allen key insert in the top so I can hold it with a key and use a spanner to do it up?

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Lots of good suggestions

I will try the ratchet strap first....as soon as I have found my ratchet straps and then the slit top is the last resort.

Why don't they make these with an Allen key insert in the top so I can hold it with a key and use a spanner to do it up?

If you do that putting a socket/tube over the threaded end and use that the tap the wishbone/rocker down onto the tapper can help seat it... hitting it with a big hammer will make you feel better even if it doesn't help fix it!

Wipe any grease/oil from the tapper will also help it grip. Ratchet strap around it, jack underneath, bar and scaffold pipe with the Mrs sat on the end...or a combination of all...

peter030371

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've cleaned the taper with IPA, used the Mrs (!), put a socket over it and clamped it up with a g-clamp really really f'ing tight (bent the threaded part of eh g-clamp and it was no light weight clamp) but its still one of the 4 joints slips.

Found my ratchet straps, at least that way I can keep the load on whilst doing it up. Run out of time today but will try again in the next few days

40inches

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used a stack of washers so that the nyloc wouldn't engage, then removed washers after tightening, and ran nut down fully.
If that doesn't do it the tapers may be mismatched.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, have you considered whether the taper match is correct?!?!
In my expericene it shouldnt be that hard to seat a taper.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
You def'need a way to keepthe pressure on while doing it up.

peter030371

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Ok, have you considered whether the taper match is correct?!?!
In my expericene it shouldnt be that hard to seat a taper.

This car has been together before and these 4 ball joints fitted into these two uprights so I know its not that problem.

I guess I am being to wimpy and need to man up to it

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would slot the tops of the thread for a screwdriver. There is no real downside.
Best of luck with this...let us know how you eventually sort it

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.