Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tail light mold
white130d

posted on 16/4/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tail light mold

Been trying to come up with a cheap "classic" look for the tail lights so I made this plug. I am going to make a mold and then make them out of fiberglass and as you can see fit the Land Rover Series tail lights.

Whatcha think... Rescued attachment Picture 017.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 017.jpg

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

white130d

posted on 16/4/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
and then

once molded, I will trim the sides to fit the curve of the rear wing/fender Rescued attachment Picture 019.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 019.jpg

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

Peteff

posted on 16/4/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
If it was just flat at the back and stuck out a bit further it would take the Mk1 Mini rear light or two circular lights. Make one to fit the MGB rear lights while you're at it David.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

longwayoff

posted on 16/4/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I like them. I wouldn’t mind a set myself
white130d

posted on 16/4/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
You're right

I just looked at a Minisport catalog, the MK 1 Mini is a good looking lamp, but it's like 39 GBPs!!! I have an old B out in the south 40. I'll take a look at them too...

David.

andyps

posted on 16/4/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The mini estate/pick up lights would be better as they fit on a flat panel, unlike the mark 1 which has compound curves. Trouble is they are a bit like hens teeth these days.

The mould looks good though.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

niceperson709

posted on 16/4/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of the afore mentioned Mini Van / estate tail lights that I intend to use and I like the base you have made I have plans to do some sort thing my only crit is the stepped shape . another option I considered was the Morris minor tail lights or the early VW beetle lights . the red only very early lucas tail lights would look the business but would require seperate indicators . Choices Choices Choices
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

white130d

posted on 16/4/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Reason

The reason for the step was to accomodate the backside of the lamp assembly, they stick about 1.5" in and I was trying to avoid having them protrude into the wheel area....

Once painted black or body color the step might (fingers crossed) be less noticable.

David.

niceperson709

posted on 17/4/05 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David,
I apreciate what you are saying and understand your reasoning . My coment was based purely on the Looks of your mount . peronally I think if it was the same level as the bottom it would look more elegant ( and I could buy your'd rather than make my own ) any way it is good to see some one getting away from the square across the width of the gaurd Caterham aproach . Good luck with it .
Best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/05 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea they are not unlike the chrome plinths that were fitted to the rear of the 50s MG TF,however I also agree it would look better with both lights mounted on the same plain.
white130d

posted on 17/4/05 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I want

but being a cheap bastard ($40 here in the states for the lamp only) This is the lamp used on Frogeyes, TR2/3, 1500 MGA and I am sure a whole host of others. The plinth (black part) is probably custom to the 7 wing and I would have to make it too.... Rescued attachment tailight.jpg
Rescued attachment tailight.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by white130d
but being a cheap bastard ($40 here in the states for the lamp only) This is the lamp used on Frogeyes, TR2/3, 1500 MGA and I am sure a whole host of others. The plinth (black part) is probably custom to the 7 wing and I would have to make it too....

Both parts are Morris Minor items.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.