Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How tall?
andyps

posted on 29/4/05 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
How tall?

I have finally started my chassis, which I intend to make taller than book to accomodate the 2.0 DOHC engine I have (no comments needed about the engine, it came with the donor and I will use it, at least to start with). Anyone got any thoughts about how much taller it should be - I am considering the range of 1 - 2 inches.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

ned

posted on 29/4/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
just as an aside you could make the chassis standard and use either luego velocity bodywork (2" taller iirc) or gts bodywrok which is 3/4" or 1" taller over the engine/bonnet.

the mk indy has a 1" taller chassis iirc and uses standard size bodywork

there are many people on here who have made their chassis' taller for your very reason, adamr has done it in an interesting way by using 2x1" tubes at the top of his chassis, he has also made other mods as he's fitting a rover v8.

Description
Description

Ned.

[Edited on 29/4/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
longwayoff

posted on 29/4/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I kind of went that way, I just welded an extra 1x1 tube on top of my side rails. In hindsight I could of weld 3rd on top of the side rails running under the scuttle and along side the engine. I don’t thing it would have been noticeable
andyps

posted on 29/4/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
The 2x1 steel is a good idea, but I have already bought enough 1x1 for the chassis (I hope) so will probably stick with that. I had considered the double tubes but may as well make everything taller, even though I know it means more work sorting some things out.

Mainly wondering if 1inch is enough extra, or whether to go for more whilst I am doing it.

Thanks for the quick replies

Andy

James

posted on 29/4/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
If I started again I would consider adding 1" myself.

But I would do it just by extending the vertical 'H' tubes by 1". The LA/LB jobbie at the front would need some thought but it's not beyond the wit of man!

HTH,
James

[Edited on 29/4/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 29/4/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
James,

Not got my book in front of me, is la/lb the front assembly? if so i had this discussion before with someone about 1" changing/moving the pickup points for hte wishbones. someone did the maths and said it was such a negligible change to teh roll centres it wasn't worth worrying about..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 29/4/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
my engine needs at least 12 inch from the top of the chassis , but im modifying the bodywork , so you could do it that way - it doesnt look unsightly - well not yet !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Dale

posted on 29/4/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Raising the the upper bars by 1 or 2 inches will also add room for bigger feet and knee room under the scuttle.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Mark18

posted on 29/4/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Unless Luego have changed the velocity since I got mine, the chassis is the same height as the book - the height is added with the bodywork. HTH.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

JohnN

posted on 29/4/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
To give an answer from my own experience building a chassis with the 2 litre DOHC motor.

My chassis is +2" taller and I am using the Luego Velocity nosecone & scuttle, which I believe are the tallest available.

I've cut 2" off the sump and the engine will now fit within the bonnet with no sump hanging below the lower chassis rails. I have approx 1.5 " clearance above the top of the front of the engine which is closest to the bonnet.

Perm any combination of the above numbers and consequences to arrive at the depth of your chassis.

John

andyps

posted on 29/4/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers John

Sounds like +2inches would be ok then.

Is that Avon based rear suspension you have made?

Andy

JohnN

posted on 29/4/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
No, I looked at the Avon design, but it didn't seem to be braced in the right places, I wasn't impressed.
In the end I bought Luego wishbones and then reverse engineered the required mounting points based on the dimensions of the Sierra diff, driveshafts etc. I also visited Luego who let me take some measurements to check. AutoCAD was invaluable for drawing this up to define the arrangement and the dimensions

By the way behind the driver is standard height, it's only +2" for the top & bottom rails.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.