Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Triumph Herald 1200 help
longwayoff

posted on 17/5/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph Herald 1200 help

Not Locost I know

But can anyone help me by telling me how to set up a solex carb on a triumph herald 1200 or know of a web site with the relevant info. I have tried the triumph owners club and sporting six but they seem to be pay sites for none members

Help and Thanks

britishtrident

posted on 17/5/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
used to be a lot of Triumph guys hung around the uk.rec.cars.classic usenet news group.

Solex carbs tend to come in two types either they follow the original french Solex pattern in which the idle mixture is controlled by a large volume screw or the british Solex which use a more conventional small bleed screw -- I think the Herald like the Hillman Imp had the latter.

It is quite simple to set up first set the ignition timing, then oughly set the idle speed -- don't what it should be but I would guess about 750 to 800 rpm.
The initial setting for the mixture bleed screw is about 2 turns out ---- turn it outwards until the engines speed reaches a maximum --- you may have reset the idle speed to slow the engine down.

Next give the the screw another turn outwards and start adjusting inwards again, the engine speed will reach a peak but the engine will have a slightly unsteady beat, the speed will rise and fall very slightly, this called "hunting" and it as sign that the mixture adjustment should be backed off a little say 1/4 turn outwards.

You may have to repeat the adjustment 2 or 3 times particularly as the carb spindle is likely to be well worn.

longwayoff

posted on 17/5/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for that I go to the garage and have ago

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.