Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-colouring leather seats
RazMan

posted on 18/5/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Re-colouring leather seats

Has anyone had experience in re-colouring leather seats?

I would like to dye black leather to a light blue - or am I just asking for trouble?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 18/5/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you ask me - you're asking for trouble.

If they were light blue and you wanted to go to black that wouldn't be a problem me thinks!

Staple balls

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with hellfire on this.

You'd have to bleach it somehow, then dye it again.

Of course, bleaching could f*ck up the leather or the padding under it.

You may, if anything, be better off re-covering the seats, but that'd be an equal bast@rd of a job.

Peteff

posted on 18/5/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'd have to paint them to go lighter .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

longwayoff

posted on 19/5/05 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Don’t you believe it

If it is done properly with the right product you will have no problem it will look right and smell right too. Bleach Yeh right! I have re-coloured several jaguar interiors with a kits that I have got from Woolies. One of the cars I did and that I still own is a Jaguar XJ6 series 1 way back in 1998 and it still looks like new I change the colour from black to biscuit (a light creamy brown) I have tried other kits and they don’t come any where close.

RazMan

posted on 19/5/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping that it would be possible but logic said that I wouldn't be able to go to a lighter colour (and black is a bit dark innit )
I'll give Woolies a look and see what they have to offer - thanks for the tip longwayoff.

My last resort would have been to retrim the seats but that is sort of reinventing the wheel isn't it.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 25/5/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I just heard from Woolies ..... it seems that my task might be a trifle optimistic.....

Hello,
Thanks for your enquiry, our leather renovation kits are not designed for changing colour. If you were going from a blue to a darker blue this would probably be OK however changing black to any other colour is not suitable.

We sell another product which is a vinyl paint in an aerosol which is capable of changing colour however it is not ideal to put this on leather as you are coating the leather with a cellulose product ie a vinyl type product.

You could try another company called Croftgate that do leather renovation products, I do not know anything about their products but you could give them a call, tel no. 01706 216096. Sorry we cannot be more positive on this occasion.

If you are interestde in interior trim in general we will be pleased to send you a catalogue, please jst let us have your name and address.

Regards

Louise.

It's going to have to be black then !

Cheers,
Raz

StephenRae

posted on 2/6/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
First post for me...stir a few drops of a clear oil into cellulose paint.. spray it on..it works a treat

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.