Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stove enamelling
Browser

posted on 20/6/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Stove enamelling

Could those more enlightened than I read the following and see whether I am (as usual) talking cobblers.
My gas BBQ was finished with a less than durable coating which is falling off, added to which it is crackle-textured and a bu^^er to clean. I want to get a durable, heat-resistant finish put on it and was thinking stove enamel would do the trick. Now, am I right in thinking that stove enamel is the finish used on the inside of domestic ovens, or is this summat different? Whatever I get put on I want to be as easy to clean as possible.
Answers on a postcard to: "Browsers Clueless Again competition, The Village Pillory, Crowland, Lincs".

P.S. subject to confirmation that this or another suggested process will be OK for what I want, if anybody can get me a 'back door' job done I would be exceedingly grateful

simonH

posted on 20/6/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
nope

stive enamel is the finish on the outside of an old oven . it is a durable white enamel. this is normally a glass type substance that is applied as a powder and heated. it produces a smoth durable finish, very simmilar to the inside of an enamled bath

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

JoelP

posted on 20/6/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
P.S. subject to confirmation that this or another suggested process will be OK for what I want, if anybody can get me a 'back door' job done I would be exceedingly grateful

steady on love, thats solicitation!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

DavidM

posted on 20/6/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
The finish on the inside of ovens is Vitreous Enamel. This is a type of glass finish fused to the steel at temperatures of around 800 degrees C.
I used to worked in the Vitreous Enamelling industry up until 3 years ago. Sadly there are very few companies in the UK now applying this finish, with most of the work now being produced in Eastern Europe and the Far East.
Typically the finish from a UK enameller would be £60 to £80 per square metre.
Powder Coating as used on most cooker doors and many kit car chassis will not withstand the heat of a Barbeque.

David

Proportion is Everything

Andrew+dad

posted on 20/6/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to talk about metal coatings then u shud talk to my dad u need to be abvle to tell him to shut up when hes rambling tho or u will be sitting there for ever

he is a metalurgist and can probly direct you to a company and tlel u wot to ask for .... ill speak to him in the morning

steve_gus

posted on 20/6/05 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
there is a place in wellingborough that does 'stove enammelling' and i visited it about 10 years ago.

its not a process that can be done at home - as had been said, its a high temperature powder coat process that melts a silica coating onto the metal.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Browser

posted on 21/6/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew+dad
if you want to talk about metal coatings then u shud talk to my dad u need to be abvle to tell him to shut up when hes rambling tho or u will be sitting there for ever

he is a metalurgist and can probly direct you to a company and tlel u wot to ask for .... ill speak to him in the morning

Cheers bud, I'll await an answer (if there is one)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.