Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap laptop
marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
cheap laptop

help
need to find a decent cheap laptop, to replace the one i have just stood on and smashed the screen ( new screen £600 )

any suggestions as to the best place to buy from

many thanks

marc

[Edited on 8/8/05 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simonH

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Woolworths

Just bought a cheep laptop from woolworths only £399, celeron M 1.4 and 40 GB HD. only 256mb ram but works ok. very basic but i only want it for wireless net access in the house \ garage

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

britishtrident

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you are buying new Fujitsu-Intel (Fujitsu-Siemens) do a decent reliable entry level laptop PC world have it at the sub 500 pound mark includes VAT. With Laptops it pays to stick with the main Laptop manufacturers --- HP-Compaq, Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu. Avoid Packard-Bell

Woolworh have ultra cheap laptops but the quality is anybodies guess.

If you just want any old 2nd hand laptop for workshop diagnostic use try this guy http://www.itdealers.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/27
I have dealt with him a couple of times -- reliable and quick delivery.

shortie

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Marc,

Can you not claim on your insurance??

Rich.

marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
all i need it for is to reply to emails at home on an evening, getting so many emails a day i often end up staying at work till early hours of the morning and the missus is getting a bit pissed off and the dogs getting fatter with all my evening meals D

our insurance is combined to include everything machinery, vehicles, public liabilty, manufacturers liabilty etc, so the excess is £2000 per claim !!!!!!

even worse than that was yesterday, driving down the a59 behind a vintage truck and half its leaf spring came off and hit my car, smashing two wheels, slashing two tyres, bent the lower wishbone, and smashed the steering rack damage totalling £900, got the guys reg no and the offending part told the police but not holding my breath, they didnt seem overly interested

all in all a great weekend :

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
is pc world a good place to go ?????

problem i have is i need to go after work 6pm onwards as i have no chance of having time during the day !!!!!

many thanks

marc

Dillinger1977

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
they'll probably be open till 8 or 9 so thats okay, but they'll charge you far more than most places...

id personally get one online from somewhere like dabs. ive had good stuff from them in the past.

http://www.dabs.com/uk

-Rog

marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the link rog

just had a quick look now

they seem good on price, have you bought anything from them before ????

many thanks

marc

shortie

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also go the Dabs route, they are good, used them loads and good fast service.

Rich.

mookaloid

posted on 8/8/05 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have used quite a few Dells in the past they a reasonably well put together but after sales service is excellent

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&id=inspn&l=en&s=dhs

Its probably worth checking that the laptop you buy has the correct ports for you application e.g. not all laptops come with a serial port nowadays!

Cheers

Mark

marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
cheers mark will have a look at that too at lunchtime

how did you get on at harewood ????

SixedUp

posted on 8/8/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you really only want it for evening emails and web surfing then I'd seriously consider Britishtridents suggestion. Second-hand or reconditioned could be a quite attractive option. The upside is you get a top-name brand at silly money. The downside is that they're not the latest and greatest, and they generally don't have the power to do much more than general office stuff. You'll usually need to source your own operating system too.

Having said that, I have an old IBM Thinkpad 600 that I've owned from new, which despite its age, is happily running Windows XP (albeit slowly!) and would be fine for what you describe. You could get a similar spec'd version of my machine for about £200 from companies like this one: http://www.laptops-used.co.uk/

Note: I've not used this particular company, and I'm not associated with them in any way ... I just did a quick websearch and picked them as a convenient example!

Cheers
Richard

shades

posted on 8/8/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also say Dell, pleased with the desktop I bought from them and the price. Tip I found if you when ordering with dell, you can uncheck the warranty and the price comes down. Doing this for mine saved £94. Didnt get the warranty mind you, so if you are willing to take the risk.
Jasper

posted on 8/8/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Dell - £450 with vat and delivery.....

Very reliable - excellent service - don't touch PC world with a barge pole.

rayward

posted on 8/8/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
some good deals here

CPC Link

Ray

Hellfire

posted on 8/8/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Suggest DABS - I've had loads of gear from there. Even returns are easy! As they are growing, they must be doing something right

britishtrident

posted on 8/8/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977
they'll probably be open till 8 or 9 so thats okay, but they'll charge you far more than most places...

id personally get one online from somewhere like dabs. ive had good stuff from them in the past.

http://www.dabs.com/uk

PC World prices on special offers, PCs and printers are pretty good, they only really rip the customer off on the smaller stuff.

I used to buy a lot from DABS but they let me down on couple of items a very big order once so I haven't been back.

Gav

posted on 8/8/05 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Scan is always worth a look www.scan.co.uk
also i bought my acer from http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ they have good prices, also its worth taking out the extra 2 years cover as they cover acidental damge, for a minimal charge.
also after looking you can buy direct from acer.co.uk for slightly cheaper.

dnmalc

posted on 8/8/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would recommend dabs. I used to used them when they had shops. I have also bought some of their warrentee returns / B spec items which are even better value if you are happy to not have a brand new. I am also currently looking for a lap top and have been looking at mcscom.co.uk gultronics.co.uk and microanvika.com. I can't vouch for the last two but their prices seem competitive. I hope this helps
David Jenkins

posted on 9/8/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've bought stuff from MicroAnvika, at their shops in Tottenham Court Road, London. They're a respectable straight-dealing company, so if the prices are good...

David
(no connection, satisfied customer, etc., etc.)

andyps

posted on 9/8/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Might sound daft, but try Toys R US - they often have good deals on PC's and typically offer 12 months interest free too. I bought my PC there as it was the best deal anywhere at the time.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

serendipity123

posted on 23/8/05 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
i own a computer shop in holbeach near spalding, if you guys ever need anything pc related you can always give me a shout 4 a trade deal
britishtrident

posted on 25/8/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Laptop prices are taking a nose dive look at this
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/407365

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.