Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aaaah SVA next Tuesday 17th
andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Aaaah SVA next Tuesday 17th

A bit quicker than expected. Haven't finished the car yet alone SVA proofed it.

Does anyone have any bolt covers and front suspension covers they want to sell/rent me?

I'll post some photos later for some words of wisdom!

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

jos

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, what do you need. I can drop them over if you like

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Paul G

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy whereabouts in Staffs are you? I'm in Stoke, just waiting for my SVA date to come through now (I'm hoping around the beginning of next month...)

Paul

DarrenW

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the test.

To cover steering arms i used split conduit and secured with cable ties (cut ends to the back).

To cover shocker height adjust nut i secured round conduit just below the nut (cut a length just right length and passed cable tie thro it then wrapped around shocker) and for good measure wrapped some seat belt around the nut twice and secured with cable tie.

Nuts and rebound adjust knob all covered with normal nut covers.

Above all enjoy it. I think a good aim is to minimise fail points. Id recommend concentrating on main areas first (cable / pipe runs, brakes, everything tight and working, electrics etc). After that you will only get a pissy little nit picky list of jobs that shouldt present too many problems.

phillippe

posted on 12/1/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
good luck

good luck pal....
andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Pre SVA Prep 1
Pre SVA Prep 1

[img]/upload/IMG_9925.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9926.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9927.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9928.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9929.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9930.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9931.jpg[/img]

[img]/upload/IMG_9934.jpg[/img]

[Edited on 12/1/06 by andyharding]

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Todo list:-

Interior:-

+ Cover edges of side panels with pipe insulation
+ Cover edges of tunnel prob. with cut pipe insulation
+ Make cowel for steering column (don't think I need to do this though)
+ Gear level + handbrake gaitors (are these needed?)
+ Pedel non-slip
+ Pad steering wheel

Front suspension:-

+ Bolt covers for top wishbone front mounting, shock top and bottom mount, shock adjuster, hub bolt.
+ Cover track rods
+ Cover spring platform
+ Headlamp mounting spare thread cover with split heater hose
+ Extend indicators (any quick solutions?)

Don't think anything else needs doing as a 100mm radius can't touch it.

Boot cover will be made of 6mm ply and covered in the blue leather so the edge is soft. Screwed on with pan head self tappers. (not having a boot will fit cargo nets behind seats)

Will cable ties on the CV joints fail? I've heard it won't pass an MOT which is mad as the supplied metal clamps wouldn't keep them on but the ties will.

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Yup, what do you need. I can drop them over if you like

The only things I have are some edge beading. Can you look at the photos and let me know if you have anything suitable? Many thanks!

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul G
Hi Andy whereabouts in Staffs are you? I'm in Stoke, just waiting for my SVA date to come through now (I'm hoping around the beginning of next month...)

Paul

Werrington, Stoke on Trent. How about you?

You're welcome around sometime!

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Above all enjoy it. I think a good aim is to minimise fail points. Id recommend concentrating on main areas first (cable / pipe runs, brakes, everything tight and working, electrics etc). After that you will only get a pissy little nit picky list of jobs that shouldt present too many problems.

All electrics work fine (apart from sodding horn due to crappy Mountney boss. Will fix. All brake pipes secured about every 6" with P clips. Cabling and fuel pipe about every 10". Only the main +ve from the battery to the starter that isn't clipped.

TBH not expecting a pass first time but the less I fail on the less I need to fix quickly before a re-test. Insurance only give me a few weeks to get in Reg'd.

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sods law!

One of the core plugs has started dripping and meased up my nice paint job. There is no way I can fix it without yanking the engine.

Will this be a prob? It's not leaking enough to drain the coolant. Just a drip...

I love speed :-P

posted on 12/1/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
good luck

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oliwb

posted on 12/1/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you might need some edging trim on the cycle wings.....don't think they can fail you on a small leak from a core plug....are you trailering the car there or driving?? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
First pic
I would cover the upper suspension arm to ball joint nut, the upper suspension arm to cvhassis bolt head
the steering rack to track rod end nut, both suspension strut bolt heads, and i'd also check the distance of the front indicator from the side of the vehicle.

Second pic
Id fit a gaiter around the gear stick and the ally pannel with u trim. I'd also enclose the steering column & ignition barrel with a simple piece of fabric (grey area with exemption zone). I cant see if youve got a handbrake gaiter but you'll probably need one if you dont.

Third pic
I'd replace the mountney steering wheel with a sierra one. It increase the exemption zone and also doesnt have any exposed metal for mr examiner to be unhappy with. Have you checked whether your front braided hoses touch any bodywork on full lock, on both sides???. I might alos be tempted to put u trim around the exhaust cut out and air filter hole in the bonnet. Have you checked the exhaust clamp and also for sharp edges on the exhaust surface.

Fourth pic
Nice use of garden hose.

Fifth pic
Ditto - I would change anything but would take some conduit just incase garden hose isnt to the examiners liking

Sixth pic
Personally I'd try to get some conduit over the pair of blue wires, and the red and green wires and also try to secure them to stop flappage.

Seventh pic.
Check the top of the cam belt doesnt score the bonnet

Eighth pic
Personally I zip tied the HT leads together progressively as your ht lead to cyl 4 looks like its touching the exhaust header. You can take up the slack using zip ties.

Just checking through your list and youve got most of my points. I'll check you location and bring over my SVA box of bits if possible.

DarrenW had a core plug let go at his SVA retest. Pick his brain on what he did. Personally I'd postpone if I though it would let go on the day of the test. You should have to pay again and reclaim as youre giving over 24 hours.

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Looks like you might need some edging trim on the cycle wings.....don't think they can fail you on a small leak from a core plug....are you trailering the car there or driving?? Oli.

I read something about the edges of fiber re-enforced panels just needing the edges blunted but I'll stick some trim on the be safe.

Driving there!

andyharding

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos

Just checking through your list and youve got most of my points. I'll check you location and bring over my SVA box of bits if possible.

That would be great, thanks!

DarrenW had a core plug let go at his SVA retest. Pick his brain on what he did. Personally I'd postpone if I though it would let go on the day of the test. You should have to pay again and reclaim as youre giving over 24 hours.

I confident the core plug won't let go, it's just seeping and my fan works well so it won't overheat. Famous last words!

Hornet

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi dude.. You will need a cover on the +ve terminal of battery prob.

Best of Luck.

jos

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
When do you want me and could you u2u me your post code & house number. Ive u2u'd you my mobile no.

andyharding

posted on 13/1/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help so far. Gives a lot to get through this weekend!

Haven't got the Sierra wheel so I've ordered the padded cover from Europa.

DarrenW

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Sods law!

One of the core plugs has started dripping and meased up my nice paint job. There is no way I can fix it without yanking the engine.

Will this be a prob? It's not leaking enough to drain the coolant. Just a drip...

Core plug - Dont panic.

First question - is it leaking from edge or due to being corroded from inside out? If due to corrosion (this happens when old engines are stored without fluids for 1 year plus) then this happened to me at the test.
is it easy to get to? My rear pinto core plug failed at SVA. i dumped a large quantity of rusty sh1tty looking water into the brake rollers at the retest. Luckily that was last part of test and passed.
Rear core plugs are a pig to get to - i had to split engine and box.

Temp fix as follows - clean up as best as possible to remove rust. Ensure dust and grease free. Fill core plug with JB weld. I layerd mine in in 2 or 3 goes. Last layer proud of plug and onto block. In this weather it needs some gentle heat to get it to go off. I used small Asda fan heater on setting 1. JB weld runs on vertical surfaces before hardening so i held it in place with gaffer tape. After curing over night i filled with water and coolant - no more leaks. I then fired her up a few times progressively letting it get hotter each time and then cooling back down. This helps it to cure even better from the inside. After i was happy with that i let it get up to fan kicking in temp a few times. Touch wood mine has held up ok although only done 100 freezing cold miles so far.

As always - no warranty implied or given with this fix but it has worked for me so far. I was told about it by a garage who has had similar success.
If core plug is leaking from between plug and block then i dont know if this will work. If it is due to corrosion then it is fair bet that others are on way out as well so would be well to consider replacement in the near future.

HTH,
Darren.

andyharding

posted on 14/1/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Big thanks to Jos who kindly dropped off his SVA box today.

I'll post some picks tomorrow for your critisisms of my SVA proofing...

andyharding

posted on 16/1/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Oh poo

jos

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well, how did you get on then???

scutter

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck fella, Jos let the bloke get there first.

ATB Dan.

jos

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
He's been there 13 minutes

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.