Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Out in the cold...
David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Out in the cold...

Went out yesterday, first time for ages due to a combination of rubbish weather and me fitting a boot space.

Had a huge amount of fun zooming round the country lanes... then realised that the fuel gauge was reading near-zero, and when my gauge says zero, it really means zero! No hidden reserves in my tank...

Started to head for home... and got diverted due to road works, which added several miles to my journey. Just made it back, with the engine starting to sound hesitant...

What fun!

David

scutter

posted on 23/1/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I took mine to work yesterday in the freezing fog, ended up with ice on my helmet.

Bloody good laff on the way home tho.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welderman

posted on 23/1/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Both myself and my mate took ours on a trip to Southport, twas very cold on the coast.
Then did about 100 miles in all.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Took mine for a short blast today, just a tad chilly. Might get one of those electric jacket warmers off ebay
Simon

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
I went out in mine on Sunday and thought I'd better put so fuel in it - gauge is a bit vague, so managed to get 20 litres in, having covered 60 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mostly short local journeys from cold, so as expected I guess!

ATB

Simon

chrisg

posted on 24/1/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mine still won't start

And It's got no front suspension on.

It would have been great to go for a blast today, 4 degrees but sunny, heater on full and my wooly scarf - ace!

Cheers

Chris

Simon

posted on 24/1/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Heater?????

Northern Nancy

ATB

Simon

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Heaters only work if the engine gets warm . Come on Chris , Pinto's are not that difficult to get started.
chrisg

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is.

I'm bloody fed up.

I've replaced the entireignition system.

Looking for another carb to try now.

Why Me God?

Cheers

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pintoi's are not supposed to give that much grief. Mine was running with huge amounts of advance (estimated at 45deg plus!!!). Anything i can help you with? Im no expert but no how mine is set up. Might need different post.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, did it fire at all when you tried easistart? . If it didn't then ignition system is suspect . Did you knock the distributor round when you took the engine out? Have you got a spark? If you were a bit closer I'd come and have a look for you but Sheffield is a bit too far
DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, When i built mine i fitted a brand new electronic dizzy and amp for piece of mind. I followed James' thread for the wiring and it was spot on. I initially had trouble getting it to fire but a squirt of easy start had it trying and backfiring. Timing was all set up static and at TDC initially. After i realised i had the plug leads in wrong orientation it fired first click.
I learnt that as long as the basics were all ok they will start ok. After that they can be tweeked.

What have you done so far? As above is it sparking etc.

Forgot to say - i did have a problem with fuel- found out the hard way the electric pump was way too strong and fuel was being forced past float and kept flooding it. Change to mech pump really made a difference.

chrisg

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've replaced the points and condensor, the plugs and leads the coil, I'm getting a spark at all the plugs, yesterday I got a slight"cough" out of it.

I'm trying a different carb today, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Chris

rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the static timing? Remove distributor cap watch points , turn engine over in normal direction of rotation by hand until points just open . Check timing marks , you want something like 10 degrees BTDC which hopefully should be near enough to start . Was the engine starting OK before you took it out to do clutch?
Hornet

posted on 26/1/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Quote.. I took mine to work yesterday in the freezing fog, ended up with ice on my helmet.

Man that must hurt..... try wearing thermal undies next time

chrisg

posted on 26/1/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

I've cracked it but I still don't understand it.

Started out today from the begining and tried to line up the timing marks on the camshaft and crank pulley.

They didn't line up.

Some how the belt has slipped.

But how?

The engine was running, I pulled it out banged the new gearbox on, put it back.

How can the belt have slipped?

I can only that that some Vindictive b@stard has broken in to my garage and undone the tensioner, moved the belt and tightened it all up again, cos it was bloody tight but it had moved four teeth.

When I put it back it started on the first push of the starter button.

Alls well that ends well

Cheers

Chris

donut

posted on 26/1/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you are intelligent enough to have had a close look but if not () then have a close look at the belt to see if it has been tampered with and see if it needs replacing. May be worth it for peace of mind.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good shout Andy - I'll get one tomorrow.

cheers

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.