Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: shifting between 1st and 2nd on a BEC
smart51

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
shifting between 1st and 2nd on a BEC

If I use all the revs in 1st gear it is quite difficult to engage 2nd. I have to declutch and wait for the revs to drop so that the speed is right for 2nd before trying to engage. Trying to make a quick shift makes slight clicking noises from the box until the revs are right and then it goes in.

1st to 2nd shifts at slower engine speeds are no problem, as are shifts between all the upper gears. Clutchless upshifts work fine in all the other gears too.

Is this caused because of neutral being between 1st and 2nd? Is it because 1st and 2ns are further apart than the other gears? Is there a special technique that I am missing?

RichieC

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
There is normally a noticable difference between 1st and 2nd because of N in between. If there is any wear on the dogs in the box this will be more noticable as there will be less liklehood of a clean engagement.
I think Im right in saying, you change forks from 1st/N onto 2nd/3rd. Again, if there is any significant wear this transition may not be as smooth as youd wish.
I rarely used the clutch going up on any of my bikes, from reasonably slow speeds to the other end of the scale.

The biggest difference betweem ratios is 1st - 2nd, the ratios then "smooth" out:
98-00 R1 ratios:
1st 12.87442
2nd 9.1210314 = 3.75 step
3rd 7.42755 = 1.69
4th 6.6006161 = 0.82
5th 5.94204 = 0.66
6th 5.5211455 = 0.42

Hope this is of help, I guess any or all of these could gcause this

Kind rgds

Rich

Rich

Hellfire

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't noticed any problems going from 1st to 2nd on either Blade or ZX12R engine, other than it being clunky at low revs (using clutch) which is just a bike engine trait.

At high revs, 1st to 2nd gear goes in just as smooth as other gears on clutchless upshifts.

Does it accelerate quickly and smoothly once you're in second gear?

uklee70

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
My r1 mini first to second was quite a clunk

I think R1's are known to be a like this

Lee

smart51

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
It accelerates well in all gears. I spent much of saturday afternoon on small windy lanes accelerating from 30 to 60 in 2nd before slowing for the next bend and accelerating again.

At angine speeds upto maybe 5000 RPM, there is no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, apart from it being a bit clonky.

If I rev upto 10,000 or 11,000 PRM, it won't go into 2nd until the revs drop by about 3000 or so, which is then the right speed for 2nd gear.

It is only a problem when doing flying stats or going into 1st gear hairpins, but then thats part of the fun.

Paul G

posted on 24/1/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I know when I was testing mine on the road (R1 indy not SVA'd yet) I always seemed to get quite a big clunk and a shudder when going first to second at all revs, all the other gears went in smoothly. I was a bit worried about it as it didnt feel right but was concentrating on getting through the SVA first

Paul

carnut

posted on 24/1/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
If youve been giving it a lot of stick (ie flat shifting 1st to 2nd) you may have chipped the corners off the dogs. I did this to 4th gear but on the over-run side while changing down. Only way you can tell if this is it though is to pull the engine apart or take the sump off and filter out to look for bits of metal.
JoelP

posted on 24/1/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
id vote for the clutch dragging, especially bearing in mind the shims you added. Have you considered removing them and doing a quick blast to compare? Obviously your clutch will slip again, but it might solve the clicking etc.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, sounds like clutch drag to me

progers

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
If it turns out to be clutch drag, try reducing the washer you put under the coil springs from 2.5 mm down to something less than 2. The sump washers I used were around 1.5mm.

- Paul

smart51

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
nice idea with the clutch but it has always been difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd, before I fitted the clutch spring shims and before I fitted the barnet pressure plate.

My first few trips to SVA and things I drove it very gently but it has always been tricky. I assumed it was bad technique at first.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
If its always been like that then it could possibly be a bent selector fork
I would double check the drag thing first though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.