Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 emmisions fish tank valves
adrian

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
r1 emmisions fish tank valves

hi,
im nearly ready to put my car through sva, ive heard people use fish tank valves to reduce the emissions, also i dont have a cat, can u get a cat to fit my silencer as i have no room on manifold (silencer fitted to 4-1 collector)

RazMan

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian
ive heard people use fish tank valves to reduce the emissions

Eh? How does that work then?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adrian

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
hi raz dude!
ive heard that the valves bleed air into the intake thus giving a cleaner burn. the cat keeps gases in the exhast longer burning the bad stuff, im trying to find out where to get these valves? and a cat /silencer in one unit

dave1888

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC these are bleed valves on the intake manifold which are adjustable. Bogg Bros fit them to there manifolds.
RazMan

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds much like the Ecotec valve which apparently does similar things. They also claim a significant power increase but I have my doubts.

Anything that ACTUALLY reduces emissions can't be a bad thing but SVA will want to see a cat on an engine that originally had one. I'm borrowing a cat for my SVA then refitting a dummy cat for the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adrian

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
sorry my ignorance,
what does iirc mean? who are bogg bros?

adrian

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
i AM fitting a cat that was my original question ,i want to know if there is cat that is fitted inside a silencer , i have an r1 does anyone know what fish tank valves to use?
RazMan

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian
sorry my ignorance,
what does iirc mean? who are bogg bros?

IIRC=If I remember correctly Bogg Brothers are well known fabricators /engine builders - if you do a search you will find a lot of results, especially just recently.
http://www.boggbros.co.uk/

I'm afraid I havent a clue about the R1 cat - maybe other R1 builders will step in here.

[Edited on 7-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

kev R1

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
there was a post on here not so long back from 'snoopy' who used to work for mk i think that goes inyo quite a bit pf detail about this fish tank valve business!
smart51

posted on 8/2/06 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
For my carbed R1 I fitted a cat between the down pipes and silencer and then adjusted the idle fuel mixture at my local Hi-Q tyre and exhaust place on their MOT gas analyser to get the readings right.

The guys at Hi-Q were really good as they didn't charge me for using their machine.

I think that some people use valves to bleed air into a slighty rich fuel mixture to get the readings right rather than adjust the mixture but why go to the expense?

Paul G

posted on 8/2/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=38298&page=2

I used the valves in an emission test last week and it flew through, got my sva on friday so fingers crossed....!

phillippe

posted on 8/2/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
sva

wot do u think of this ..i took all 4 balance scrows out from between carbs and cilender head and turnd idel up 4 the test and took to my frends mot station ok pass. and took to sva center and passed also.wos i lucky or is it ok.after test i reternd the blanks to wer thay go and turned the idel back down..lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.