Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra diff to propshaft bolts - M10x1mm x 18mm (12.9G) - FOUND!
craig1410

posted on 20/3/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra diff to propshaft bolts - M10x1mm x 18mm (12.9G) - FOUND!

Hi,
I'm trying to get hold of 4 propshaft to diff bolts (set screws actually I think) for my Sierra diff. I know the Ford part number is 6118344 and they are M10 x 18mm x 1mm pitch (12.9 grade) set screws but my local Ford parts department have just told me that "the system" is saying that they would have to be back ordered and it could take some time to get hold of them. Also there is a minimum order quantity of a bag of 25.

So, if anyone out there has four new set screws of the above type which they would be willing to post to me (Glasgow area) then please let me know and we can sort something out. Putting my cards on the table it is going to cost me £22 to get a bag of 25 so anything better than that would be worth considering. Please note that these MUST be the correct bolt so they should be marked as 12.9 ton on the head. I'm not taking chances with propshaft mounting bolts...

Thanks guys,
Craig.

[Edited on 20/3/2006 by craig1410]

DIY Si

posted on 20/3/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just pop down to your local engineering suppliers and get some? probably cost a few quid at most.
ned

posted on 20/3/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
namrick would sort you out with minimal postage costs:
http://www.namrick.co.uk if all else fails

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 20/3/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
I just ordered some stuff from Namrick but they don't do 12.9 grade bolts other than socket caphead's. Are there any other companies other than Namrick who you can suggest?

Cheers,
Craig.

Paul G

posted on 20/3/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
after waiting 6 weeks for ford to get them in stock I gave up and got mine from here https://www.burtonpower.com/

tri

posted on 20/3/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Try Fyfe & McGrouther in Glasgow 0141 552 4966. They are a nut and bolt supplier amonst other things and would possibly have them. If I remember minimum order of approx £10 but this can be a combination of other things such as tools etc.

Regards,

Tri.

JoelP

posted on 20/3/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
ive got several lying round the garage. However, they are not new and are only marked 12.9 if the original ones were, as thats what they are!

if these check out ok and you dont find any local, i'll post them off to you.

Whats wrong with capheads anyway?!

craig1410

posted on 20/3/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
Thanks to all who responded and especially to Paul G. I found them on the Burton website here:

https://www.burtonpower.com/prod_filter.aspx?sm=70011&PSet=98

and they are only £1.06 inc vat each.

I'd rather order stuff on the internet if I can as I can do it outside business hours but I know that many engineering companies are still a bit behind the times when it comes to web presence. Anyway, I'm off to look around the Burton website to see what else I need.

Thanks,
Craig.

James

posted on 20/3/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
AHC Camberley

http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk

Have always been able to supply all the bolts I need usually for a good price.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 20/3/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, what type of bolts are you using - i've just used cap heads on mine, a lot easier than those pesky torx things

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 20/3/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
I think you are thinking of the ones on the driveshafts, I am talking about the ones which secure the propshaft to the diff input shaft. I probably could use cap heads on the diff input shaft too but I'd rather use the correct bolt if possible. I've ordered them now from Burtonpower so they should arrive in a day or two.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 20/3/2006 by craig1410]

Simon

posted on 21/3/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

Propshaft bolts?

Does this mean the build is progressing nicely?

Soon to be on the road perhaps?

Thinking about it, it took me 18 months to get from fitting prop to on the road

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 21/3/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,
Well you really know how to cheer someone up don't you...

I'm aiming for the middle of the summer and it is certainly possible I think. I'm not going to cut corners but I am also not planning on perfection prior to SVA, I want something I can improve during the winter too. So, I am prioritising things to get to and past SVA as fast as possible starting at the back of the car and working forwards. I have had the propshaft for several months but couldn't fit it until I either took out the engine or the diff off. Happily it fits nicely...

Anyway, watch my website as I will be updating it with some brief notes on progress.

Thanks for asking,
Craig.

Simon

posted on 22/3/06 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
....... but I am also not planning on perfection prior to SVA, I want something I can improve during the winter too.....

Anyway, watch my website as I will be updating it with some brief notes on progress.

Thanks for asking,
Craig.

Craig,

Agree entirely with these sentiments - though having to hack my scoop and front arches around between tests, they look a bit rough. I've a few jobs that needdoing such as tracking, but most can wait till it warms up a bit.

I keep looking at your website - I want to see how your bodywork has turned out.

Have fun

ATB

Simo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.